Looking for a bass rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrsmiles, Oct 10, 2011.

1. jrsmiles

jrsmiles

Oct 8, 2011
    Apologies in advance for the noob question, but you guys are great.

I'm getting back into playing and it's been a while since I've been a gearhead.

I plan on using an amp mostly for practice, playing along with tracks etc... I would like enough balls and volume out of it to keep up with an acoustic gig providing a good low end, with a couple of mic'd singers and acoustic guitars over a modest PA. I don't intend on making this a backline substitute and I know it can't do it all. If I get into bigger situations, I'll revisit the whole thing.

One thing I need is LOW, I want it to be able to not only handle, but kick ass on the low B. I play all kinds of stuff, DMB, Jamiroquai, classic rock, top 40, etc...

My budget is around $500, can stretch to $600 if something is killer. I'm leaning towards combos, just because of the space. I'd rather tuck it away in a corner than have it overpower my room. That said, I am open to a head/cab setup. If I can keep my options open to expanding down the line, that'd be great.

I think a 15" is in order, but that's the old school in me. Obviously I want it to handle full range, so not sure if a 15" will support the higher registers.

From reading around, I've been looking into these models:

GK MB212
    GK MB115
    Ampeg B100-R

I'm not looking for 8x10" or 4x12", I think those days are over for me!

Maybe 2x12" or 1x15" and 2x10", or a 15" with some 6" or horns. I'm open to a lot of options.

Thanks in advance!

2. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Check your craigslist/gc for used gear, used heads and cabs are pretty cheap if you want to go that route. Modest stuff that isn't going to over power your room lol. If you get the head cheap enough, you can get a new cab in a speaker config you want like the 153, 156, etc.

3. nateynate

nateynate Gold Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Oxford, MS
    I have an Ampeg B-100R that I absolutely love in terms of size and tone. I use it for lots of different types of shows, and even in mid size venues, if the band isn't too loud and you have PA support, it's plenty.

Most of the time I use the line out to the PA and the tone is very good. My engineer usually takes the line out and mics the front with a D112 and blends and ends up with a great sound as well.

4. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    I'd hit the local music store and try out as many amps as possible. All the amps you mention will get the job done, but you might want to try a combo or a cab with 2X10 or 4X10--you still get the lows but wit more emphasis on midtones. Never thought I'd recommend it, but I'm actually enjoying my Fender Rumble 350 watts, 2X10. One thing to consider, you say this mostly for practice. You might want to try something smaller, like an Ampeg or SVT or Acoustic combo with a 1X12 speaker. Those 15's are big and boxy (also they throw a long sound wave that's gonna take a lot of distance to form, right, one that your neighbors will hear clearer than you will, unless you're sitting 20 feet away from it).

5. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I think a GK MB212 is in order...

6. jrsmiles

jrsmiles

Oct 8, 2011
    UPDATE:

So after more reading and self thought, I decided to pull the trigger on these things, they are en route, and I can't wait to get them. Oh, and both found right here in the forum classifieds!

GK 700RBII
    GK 112 Neo

I figure that's about the same size as any decent combo, plus I have the option of expandability. I've read a ton of good stuff about these two pieces of gear, so I'm really looking forward to getting them.

Since I don't have years of experience with bass gear, I thought I'd just jump right in and see what works for me. I've been through countless pieces of guitar gear like that and finally wound up finding what I liked over the years.

Will post pics when I get it setup.

7. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I have the GK MB112 and LOVE it. I can imagine more power and speaker area would make that a dream to play.

8. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I probably would've recommended the GK MB 500 or MB Fusion + a good cab. The B-100R doesn't seem to be a slap/pop kinda amp, but a PF might've done it for you.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021