1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for A Better Setup

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by anthem274, Apr 25, 2006.

1. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    Right now, my mid-1800's Tyrolean is strung up with Permanents. I think they sound pretty good overall, but I'm having some problems.

My G and D react with the bow quite nicely, but, as other people have mentioned before, they are weak in the tone department. My A and E however sound just fine, but the A doesn't react worth a crap when I bow it (should I get a wolf eliminator to solve that?).

Here's another curveball. The tension of these strings feels, well, kind of tight. Tonight I loosened them to a lower tension (about a "fourth step" down). After I did that, somehow all of the strings felt great and reacted like a dream.

I have heard of the Original Flex G/D and Permanent A/E combo on the forum and I know many people, including my teacher, that use it. I am am primarily an orchestral player and I LOVE the thick, dark, bowed sound that the Originals offer. I know the Original Flexs have amazing punch, depth, darkness, and volume, but I have heard that their tension is similiar to the Permanents. I have come up with many combos that would be possible to attain my ideal sound, so here they are:

P= Permanent, OF= original flex, SP= Permanent Solo (tuned down to orchestral)

• (OF) g/d with (P) a/e
    • (OF) g/d with (SP) a/e
    • (OF) g/d/a with (P) e
    • (OF) g/d/a with (SP) e
    • (OF) g/d/a/e

What is the best thing to do?

2. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    If you like thick, dark and punchy flexocore sound, I would try Flexocore 92 on top, and Flexocore originals for the bottom.

Pirastro somehow mismatched it's Flexocore strings:

Dark setup: G and D Flex 92s (medium), A and E Flex originals

Brighter setup: G and D Flex originals, A and E Flex 92s (medium)

That's why the top flex originals match well the bottom permanents.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    If the Bass is tight with Perms then try Flex reg 92s and use the Stark E is the Reg E is too soft. That's the best bowing string there is. The Starks are almost the same as the Orig (not close to the actual orig) flex tension. The Orig brand however is the heaviest gauged strings there is from them so if tension is a problem AND you want smooth bowing, flex 92s with stark flex E is the answer.

4. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    Thank you for your input. It's been very helpful. I do, however, have another question.

The setup of 92's for the g/d and originals for the a/e sounds great to me since it is apparently the darkest setup there is. But, with the differing tensions, will crossing between, say, the G and A feel strange?