1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a builder

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GeneralElectric, Mar 1, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Howdy all, I was wondering if you folks could recommend me a builder for a replacement Fender Precision neck. I've checked out Warmoth and Allparts but they just don't have what I'm looking for.:meh:

What I'm looking for specifically is:

Fender Style Precision Neck
    Straight grain Quartersawn maple neck
    20 fret Indian Rosewood board with clay dots
    7.25 Radius
    1.75" at the nut
    Bone Nut
    Unfinished

I'd be finishing this myself, and I'd put a new nut on it during setup, unless the builder did it.

So does anyone know of an online dealer who sells this or would I have to contact an individual luthier? I don't want to spend more than a few hundred on the neck.

Any help appreciated, thank you.:bassist:

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    if you didn't find what you want at the big W or Allparts, you might want to check out USA Custom Guitars

all the best,

R

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Thanks Rodent for the quick reply! Warmoth and Allparts have a slightly thinner nut and a 10" radius, so now I'll check out USA Custom.

4. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    if you don't see it on the webpage, call them - they can and do most everything

R

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    It looks like they can do what I'm looking for, but I'm trying to figure out what exactly I can do to that headstock to make it look more Fender-y. I'll be swapping this neck with the one from my AV 57 RI, so I'd be putting the Fender logo on it.

6. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    Why are you putting a Fender logo on a neck that wasn't built by Fender?

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Because the bass the neck is going to is an American Vintage Fender Precision.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Any other sites that anyone knows of so I can comparison shop?

9. Soulmate Guitars makes some pretty good necks to spec. But if you want to put a Fender logo on a non-Fender neck, that'd be up to you.

USA Custom *might* have a license agreement with Fender, which *might* allow you to legally put a Fender logo on their neck. Ask Tommy.

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Yeah, I got a feeling once I said I was going to put a Fender logo on it, that I'm now a pariah. Its not really a parts bass, its a US Fender, and since Fender doesn't sell necks I'd have to find someone else to give me what I need. :)

11. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Fender actually sells replacement necks... they just might not have the specs you are looking for. Then again, technically it isn't legal to put Fender's logo (trademarked) on a neck they didn't authorize. Even Warmoth, who is a licensed Fender replacement neck builder, will tell you that they won't put a Fender logo on their necks.

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I contacted Fender on purchasing a replacement neck, and they told me they won't sell me one unless mine is broken and even then, only a direct replacement to the one thats busted.

Mine neck is fine, however once I played the Pino Palladino P-bass I fell in love with the neck. However Fender wouldn't sell me one, or allow me to trade in my neck for it. So I want to build a to-spec replacement.

13. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Keep your stock neck safe for future re-install. Get the nck you want from USA Custom. Trim the headstock to match yours. I bet the headstock shape has enough to trim. Do your Fender decal deal and don't worry about it. If your not selling it as an original genuine Fender I myself wouldn't sweat it. :)

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I only put Fender decals on Squires bound to eBay. Anyone know where I can get a 70's jazz logo? :p

I dunno why I want the logo. There is some stigma attached to playing a Fender look-a-like when it doesn't have a Fender logo on the tip. People think I'm playing a knockoff. I guess I'm shallow. :)

15. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I play two Fender look a likes with no logo at all. It's all how it feels and sounds.

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I know I should be the same way, but I'm just shallow about that kind of thing. If you play a Squier most people think you automatically suck (completely not true by the way I know some monster players who just can't afford better) So I bought an American fender. Its somewhat prestigious in local music circles where your gear defines you more than your playing. Its a shame, but I'm rolling with the punches ;)

I have a franken P and someone wouldn't record it because it didn't say Fender on the headstock, and thus he wouldn't hire me. Mind you I probably could have just bought a decal online and slapped it on, but nothing on that bass, aside from the body, ever passed through a Fender workshop.