Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kobaia, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    ok,
    so here is the story. I just got my accpetance letter from Berklee. so i'm looking for a rig that i can take out there. right now i have an Aguilar DB 750, so it needs to take some wattage, and it needs to be light so that i can haul it in the snow. so far i've looked into epifani and bergantino. i play a Yamaha TRB jp a 6 string, so low B is an issue.

what would you suggest?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have a couple suggestions. First is to get a combo like even a GK MB150S-112. Second is to get a compact speaker like a 1x12 that you can use most of the time, and pair it up with a second 1x12 when you need more juice. You could even put off buying the second cab until your finances stabilize a bit.

I am just saying these things because you are up against a double whammy: Being on a college campus, and being in Boston. Hauling gear will get really old in a real hurry.

And congratulations on getting into Berklee.

3. Holy Cow!

I was sure the first response would be "buy a Schroeder".

(disclaimer: I have nothing against schroeder, the name is just thrown around alot here)

4. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    i've played through a schroeder, i wasnt impresses, wasnt dissappointed, but it wanst an epi or a berg

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    try an obvious choice...Aguilar. I love the sound of two gs112s. haven't had much experience with other aguilars, but assume they would shine in their own way.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    If you are buying 112 only the Epi. If you plan on 2 12s the berg or aggie.

The berg with the Yamaha 6 is very hi fi and can border on being sterile. Very clean and can fill a room easily

The aggies are very deep with a thick bottom. I prefer the aggies because of the thickness of the sound and price.

The big question is what is your playing style. If you play alot in a setting where playing a more supportive role in a band is what you do the aguilar would be 1st, epifani 2nd and the berg last. If the situation is one where you may play more chords and solo I would go in the reverse order.

Understand, that I'm splitting hairs on sound. Any of these cabs would be great choices

7. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    i'm going to be going to Berklee. so i'm sure i'll be doing it all. I'm really looking into the Epi UL310. i dont think a single 1x12 will take the 750 aggie watts. yes its light, and very good tone wise, but i dont want it to bottom out

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lots of good choices, really. Bergantino, Epifani, EA, Glockenklang, or maybe an Accugroove Whappo, Jr. (my favorite cab in Mark's line).

Tom.