1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a compressor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEED HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Entonem, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Entonem

Entonem

Feb 22, 2006
    Triangle, VA
    looking for best compressor ever! I just bought the keeley compressor however my bass, a spector euro 5, which i absolutly love, sends too hot a signal for the pedal (AAAHHHH!!!) so it doesnt work properly. maybe i should just get something to buffer the signal im not sure. Would that detract from the tone (this is why i dont roll back the pickups)? That is the last thing i want to do. Anyway i was also looking into the analogue man, ebs comp, and demeter when i decided on the keeley. If anyone can give me some advice on this i would write a song about you and your greatness!!!!!!!! in 9/4 !!!!!!!!!!!!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Rolling back the p/u volume should not change your tone unless your tone is dependant on an external device like a fuzz or OD which is responsive to your p/u output. So roll 'em back and see how it sounds.

All of the comps you mentioned will (I think) have the exact same problem. Even if you put some kind of signal-reducing pedal in between the bass and the comp, the result would (I think) be pretty much the same as rolling back your p/u levels.

One other option would be to use a rackmount "channel strip" unit containing a preamp and a compressor. There are lots of good ones to choose: Focusrite, Joemeek, Presonus, Hhb, etc. All of those will have a good input-level control before your signal hits the comp. At the moment I don't recall any pedal comps with that feature.

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I can't speak for the others that you mentioned, but I do know that the Demeter Compulator has an internal trim pot that can be adjusted for matching the gain of the bass.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I take it the Keely doesn't have gain control? Most decent compressors do.

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    DBX 160 comperessor

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The gain control on most decent compressors (pedal format) is either the threshold control or the output makeup gain. So if you send in a super-hot signal, and turn down the gain, you will end up with a very squashed signal.

I didn't know about the internal trim on the Demeter, thanks to zombywoof for pointing that out! Yet another option is there are a few comps out there (e.g. CAE V-comp) which can switch between instrument and line level- you could probably use the line-level setting if your preamp is that hot.

7. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    i have a rane dc24 that i have up for trade if you're intereted. it's got gain control, a crossover so you can compresser the highs & low seperately, etc etc

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    bongomania, yeah, some pedals have more controls but I know a lot of them don't - I only use rack compressors or the one in my V-Bass anyway...

mactac, surpised you are getting rid of the Rane DC24. I have one I sometimes use for bass rigs, and two more for PA (and recording). One of the best cheaper compressors I've ever seen - especially for bass guitar - and it can solve a lot of other rig problems simultaneously.

9. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Well, here's the thing.... I really, really like the compressor. therfe are 2 problems:

1. it won't fit in my rack. I need a 5 space rack, and can't find one. 6 is too big... it's big enough as it is !

2. i'd really like something with a gate on it... the rane has a gate, but it's so slow it's completely unuseable for bass.

I don't know... i'm actually not 100% sure I want to get rid of it, but right now it's not fitting in my rack... :(

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    You aren't setting it right. It's a downward expansion-type gate. You have to set the threshold right for the amount of level it's dealing with, then set the ratio so that as soon as the signal goes below threshold it expands the signal downward. If you want a "traditional" hard gate sound (which can cut off note tails sometimes) set the threshold higher and also the ratio.

But you must have a noisy rig because I can set it moderately even when I'm using some ultragain distortion.

11. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    no,i'm setting it right... i've owned a ton of downward-expansion gates. the problem is that the gate won't OPEN fast enough. the transients get cut off.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Hmm, must be defective then. Mine never get in the way.

13. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

How new is your Keeley Compressor?
    Reason I ask is the following info is on the Website's Compressor page:

"NEW NEW, Compressors now have an Internal Attack control, designed for bass players with high output active pick-ups or active pedal boards with buffers as well as Perfect for BASS GUITARS now!

NEW NEW NEW, Compressors as of October build now have an Input Sensitivity Control! This means you can use this in your studio to run keyboards, drum machines, drum mics, even master recordings and other line-level uses with the Keeley Compressor. YouÂ’ll raise your signal to a new level of Sonic-Awesomeness. Try it! You and your tone will be taken to new heights!

***PRE-RELEASE*** A 4 knob version of the Keeley Compressor will be available for a limited time. The orders have been very large, so wait times can be 7-10 days."

Plus this wonderful tidbit way down at the bottom of the page: :)

"$249 4 Control Compressor, Sustain and Level just like all other compressors, but the Intput Trim and Attack controls are now on top for easy adjustment. Perfect for high output guitars, bases, line level instruments, recording, etc. 10-14 day wait."

14. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I believe the new Keeley compressors have an internal gain control, that was developed specifically because of active electronics. I'd try that before looking for another compressor. ;)

I've used a friends older Keeley compressor that was sent back and modified with an external gain control and it works great with my active 6 string. ;)

Best of luck!!

15. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Hmmm..., MrBear beat me to it. lol...

I hadn't heard of the new 4 knob version. Hmmm..., I may have to check that out. :ninja:

16. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    no, it's a common complaint on this compressor. In fact, it's been discussed here on TB.

it's not defective.

set it up like a gate (max ratio) with a high enough threshold to mute when nothing is happening & play some low notes on your bass.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Sorry mactac, but I have no reason to use max values unless what's going into it has an incredibly high level. On all of mine I can set parameters to mesh with a +4dBu pro level inputs being fully driven and get 24 dB reduction if desired - and nary a delicate attack is cut off when the input goes from silence to re-entrance.

18. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    you need to use max ratios if you waqnt it to act as a gate. that's what a gate is.... anything under a certain threshold comes out as silence.

besides, even with lower ratios, you can still hear it screw up the transients if you listen.

In any case, if you read my post, you will notice that I was thinking of getting rid of the compressor because i need one with a GATE and the rane simply doesn't cut it for me....

if all you want is a reduction in volume below a threshold & don't mind some transient distortion, thats fine, but i'm not ok with that. it's escecially bad with active basses.

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    You only need levels and ratios that do what you want at the signal level presented. I've used a variety of hard gates before, as well as downward noise expanders. I'm telling you that all three of my units gate just fine, from two different revisions of the design, BTW.

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Well, there's maybe the rub. If used in a bass rig (or PA for that matter) I always drive mine with a hefty +4dBu preamp level (just before the power amp) and not directly from a bass's preamp.