1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for a device that removes instruments?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by 1dreday, Sep 27, 2013.

1. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2009
    I'm looking for a device that I can use to play songs through, and remove all the instruments except bass.
    to learn songs. any ideas appreciated. also hopefully it will be for mp3"s

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Nothing exists.

You could try Jammit, but you'll be restricted to the current library.

3. Hi.

Until bands begin distributing their material more in multi-track medium, no such possibility with regular 2-track audio.
    The problem is, no standard for multi-track distribution exists, and probably never will.
    Optical ADAT stream would be fast, Reaper/Audacity compatible MP3/.waw would be cheap or free, ProTools etc. would allow virtually unlimited possibilities.
    All of them have their pros and cons, and only the time will tell what actually will happen.

A MIDI player (sequencer) and the tunes as MIDI files will do what You're after though.

Songsterr.com is one option as well.

Regards
    Sam

4. You need the opposite of a vocal remover... a vocal or mono isolator.

It will give you only center mono signals, so on most records that is bass, kick, snare, lead vocal, and some other things.

5. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    A midi sequence will do exactly what you want.

But it it all depends on what songs you are looking for. The quality of the midi recordings
    that are out there range from horrible to excellent. You might just find a good quality
    sequence. You need a sequencer (software) to play them back, but there are free ones
    available on the net. You also need a software synth, but those are also available free
    and MS Windows includes one, but not sure exactly which versions do, and it's not so
    hot. But windows media player is plenty good enough for previewing a sequence.

Anyway, a good midi sequence can be very close to the original song, and you can mute
    any tracks you want. The vocal parts are almost always horrible, as they are performed
    on a keyboard with some patch or other (flutes are common), but you would be muting
    that part anyway.

Make sure the sites are safe. Probably best to get a recommendation. I haven't used any
    in so long that I can't recommend any offhand.

6. I have the holy grail for everybody, with this you can isolate every instrument or voice (not only guitars), also you can play the full song without an instrument, for example the bass.

http://www.riffstation.com/

And here the video

7. 1dreday

Nov 22, 2009
    the riffstation looks close but it says it isolates the guitar, not the bass, its weird they make devices like the Tascam bass trainer were you can remove bass to play along with songs , why not just the opposite, were you can remove everthing you want, maybe leave just the drums, or whatever.

8. the riffstation can isolate the bass, i'm using it in that way, in fact, can isolate voices, drums, piano, etc...

And you can use it in both ways, playing just the bass or playing all the song without the bass... try it.

9. 1dreday

Nov 22, 2009
    cool sweet thanks i'll checkout what it costs, I got the idea when I was on tab pro, when you play back a tab song you can turn off the guitar ect then just leave the bass and drums

10. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Amazing slow downer is good, or you can use the EQ in Windows Media Player. Basically, you are removing the treble and mid range frequencies.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Roland r-mix
    Sony spectralayers
    or
    http://www.elevayta.com/product13.htm

Whenever it says "remove" remember that you can invert this to isolate what you removed. There's youtube videos on de-constructed songs that isolate each instrument.

12. Just gave Riffstation a try. Its great on guitars but not very useful for bass. About the same result as using EQ.

13. Have tried Spectralayers, the most sophisticated of the three. And while it can remove 'certain types' of sounds, it really doesn't isolate bass lines well.

R-mix gets 'mixed' reviews. Haven't tried it.

The demo song for elevyta is a joke. They might want to try material where there already isn't existing, exaggerated separation of the instruments.

I don't know of anything that will truly isolate a bass line. Would love to find it though.

14. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Check out http://www.mysongbook.com/ as well. You are limited to their library, but they have a lot more than Jammit does (for what I like anyway). You also get printable PDFs of the music scores which Jammit does not allow. Obviously, to get the isolated bass lines there, you have to go for the "Full Score" versions of their offerings, and not everything is "Full Score" there. Still, it's another option to investigate.

Also, The Tascam Bass Trainer does not isolate the bass. The closest thing on it to isolating or focusing on the bass is a balance control that simply allows you to pick either the left or right channel. It can't pick out a bass line any better than anything else dealing with a basic stereo track.

15. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
  16. Because its really hard to remove all but the bass. Impossible actually. But the tech i described ... which riffstation uses along with elaborate eqing.... is as close as youll get. Removing bass is easier to fake with center cancel and eq...

Mixed mono or stereo tracks cant be unmixed. Celemony is clever but cant isolate bass well. Its the only tech that is on right path though...

Source: my day job is software engineering and audio engineering.

17. VerryBerry

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Haven't tried Riffstation, but it sounds similar to Transcribe from http://www.seventhstring.com/ at $40 USD. It's been mentioned in various similar threads before.

With eq'ing, you can remove different frequency bands to leave the ones that are most helpful to what you are trying to do. It's not perfect though. How do you remove the bass guitar without affecting drums or keys playing in or near the same sonic space? You can't. Unless you have access to the actual studio multitracks where everything is nicely separated to its own channel.

18. VerryBerry

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    To use a loose analogy, a mixed mono or stereo track is like a cake that is baked. Once baked, you can't separate the flour from the sugar from the salt from the eggs, etc.

19. Riffstation is very different from Transcribe. Transcribe only has a graph EQ for control. Riffstation uses paramtric EQ as well as mid/side control.

But it still doesn't isolate just bass lines to any appreciable degree.