1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a good bass tone!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uber9000, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Uber9000

Uber9000

Dec 22, 2017
    I want a tone that sounds like a cross between Paul McCartney and punk. I use a redwood b15 amp and an ibanez gsr180 bass.

2. pm.

3. Welcome to Talkbass.
    Are you asking a question? Are you looking for a new amp? I can't really tell what you're looking for.

4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    That's a cross between Paul and John (Kerry) :D

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Can you be more specific about pretty much everything?
    There's a lot between Macca and punk.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!!

We need more information to help you.

Are you looking for amp recommendations?
    EQ settings?
    Technique help?

If buying gear, what is your budget?

If buying gear, roughly where are you? We have bass players from all over the world. The answers for someone from Moscow would be different from answers for someone in rural Iowa or NYC.

HELP us help You! :D

roccobass likes this.
  7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I thought I was the only one looking for a good bass tone! :D

8. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    Yeah, not many of us here care much about bass tone. <g>

Loring likes this.
  9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Sadly the OP is AWOL. All the effort to join TB, one post, then gone like a fart in a windstorm. OP? OP? Where are't thou OP?

roccobass and Socobass like this.
  10. Uber9000

Uber9000

Dec 22, 2017
    An amp tone setting that can sound like Paul McCartney and a punk sound. Preferably a fat, percussive tone.

11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Just my 2 cents...

If you’re looking for “good” bass tone, lend your ears to everything else that isn’t Mcartney or punk.

12. Your amp is unfamiliar.

For twang use your fingertips aggressively more towards the bridge than the fingerboard.

4dog and Uber9000 like this.
  13. For fat use more of a side stroke fleshy pluck. Extra fat nearer the fingerboard.

4dog likes this.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Looking for a good bass tone!
    Aren't we all...

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  15. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    The people that were looking for bad bass tone all already found it.

cool breeze and Gearhead17 like this.
  16. Uber9000

Uber9000

Dec 22, 2017
    I'm just looking for tone settings. I don't want to buy anything (I'm 13 and have been playing bass since October). I just want to know a good amp setting (low, low-mid, high-mid, high dials) for sounding like a mix of macca and punk.

17. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    The sound of punk is cheap gear poorly used. Just pretend you don't know what you're doing and dial things in any which way. Boom, you have a punk bass tone.

For McCartney, just use flatwounds and play melodically (so, the opposite of punk). Lots of mids and not much of anything else.

18. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Do what many many thousands of bass players have done before you: take your bass and your amp and recordings of Macca and punk and turn knobs/adjust your plucking/picking technique until you hear what you’re looking for.

No one else can tell you.

19. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Hmm, I hope you're joking.

Punk is an intense style a lot of the time. Often, those bassists will use a pick, and play with a lot of downstrokes, so instead of alternating up/down/up/down the same line can be played down/down/down/down.

Paul McCartney played a lot of almost counter melodies that aren't
    indicitave of a traditional 50's or 60's rock bass style. His playing style was much more relaxed and hinged often times, on his or Lennon's vocal melodies. I'm actually surprised you can pick up much of his tone, are you listening to some remastered tracks?As far as settings go, it's really dependent on the amp and what it sounds like. The two styles you are interested in are worlds apart, and actually a traditional rock bass sound would be somewhere in between. Start with all of your settings at half, or 12 o'clock. Then slowly turn up the volume until it's at an appropriate level. Instead of boosting (clockwise turn) the eq section, try reducing (counterclockwise) the settings. I'd start with a slight scoop ( dial back low mids, and increase slightly the high mids). That's pretty typical of many rock genres, and a good place to cut your teeth.

MDBass likes this.
  20. Phd

Phd

Dec 8, 2014
    You have a single choice, equalizes.