1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a good effects pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shade13, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Shade13

Shade13

Jun 20, 2008
    I want to buy an effects pedal this summer. I want a good one for a good price. Nothing over $100, I know thats cheap :D. I am looking for the one that Chris Wolstenholme uses from MUSE. Kind of a fuzzy noise.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hi Shade, welcome to the world of effects. If you do a search on Muse or Wostenholme you'll find out that "the one he uses" is actually a large array of gear costing many thousands of dollars. However if you keep reading in those threads you will find one or two people who managed to get similar sounds using a multifx pedal like the ones by Zoom or Line 6. However even those are going to be more than $100. But wait! It sounds like where you're at, a fuzz pedal will be sufficient. And YES! There are lots of fuzz pedals under $100. So my advice is to focus on the question "What's the best bass fuzz pedal for under $100". The answer is probably going to be a used Electro-Harmonix Big Muff or Little Big Muff.

With that, I have now concluded my one "nice post to a noob" for the month. :D

3. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    well done that man :D

could have been worse, you could have mentioned searching :eyebrow:

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    He implied it. ;)

BTW, Shade, there's a Bass Big Muff that just came out... its circuit is based on the Russian Big Muffs that bassists like Wolstenholme have used, and it has some cool features added to it. I'd suggest holding out for that one, as it'll probably be more up your alley.

Just remember that some of the "fuzzy" tones you're trying to get (I'm guessing "Time Is Running Out" and "Hysteria" are on that list :D) are not just a Big Muff, and in some cases not a Big Muff at all. He has a lot of pedals on his board, so it really depends on the song.

If you search for either of those song titles in this forum, you'll find some helpful threads from people who have tried to get those sounds. The same goes for other Muse songs, too... search and you shall find. ;)

I've actually come closer to some of his synthier tones using just an MXR Blowtorch (a VERY different kind of fuzz pedal), but as you'll see when you do your research on Muse here, it takes quite a few effects to really nail the variety of sounds he produces...

5. Also, Devi Ever makes over a dozen fuzz pedals, most of which are around $100

6. Shade13

Shade13

Jun 20, 2008
    i looked at the big muff pi pedal, that looks pretty good

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
  8. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    a good cheap fuzz id say STAY AWAY from the big muff.

HIGHLYYYYYYYYY recommend looking at electronix messdrive or messdrive hybrid plus. they sound absolutely phenominal and are very inexpencive. can very well do the muse type thing.

9. Shade13

Shade13

Jun 20, 2008
    So many choices.. lol

10. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    and that's just the "tip of the iceberg" of effects... now you know why most of us snickered to ourselves a bit when we read your original post (don't worry we probably all asked a similiar question at some point). Be careful though, effects are a slippery slope and can take over... especially if you like stuff like muse. :D

11. Shade13

Shade13

Jun 20, 2008
    haha, yeah. Oh well, i'll get a decent one now and maybe later i'll get a better one :D

12. cameric

cameric

Dec 31, 2007
    No, go for a 'keeper' now. With a fuzz pedal, if it means spending the extra tenner to get something you'll be happy with, then do it. There are loads of killer fuzztones out there for under 100...I hugely recommend the little big muff, and the bass big muff looks great. You'll hang on to those.

Just try loads out. Your own ears (and your wallet!) will be your best guide.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021