Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a good small practice amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mlstephens, May 28, 2005.

1. mlstephens

mlstephens

Oct 30, 2004
    I am looking for any recommendations for a good small portable bass practice amp at a resonable price. Both A/C and battery powered is important. Thanks for any advice or assistance you can give me.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I can't help on the battery power front, but my little SWR Workingman's 10 is very small and sounds great.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Phil Jones Briefcase fits that bill At $600, it is not inexpensive, but I would call the price reasonable, given the quality of the amp and the clarity of the tone. In truth, I am a bit surprised that it does not cost more. I am very happy with mine, although with the 12v battery that fits inside the amp, you don't get a lot of playing time at full volume (just over an hour, I believe). At lower volumes, the battery will last longer. And I think you could rig it to work with a larger, lead acid 12v, if you wanted more playing time on batteries.

Tom.

4. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i bought a GK backline 115 because it was cheap...but it sounds kinda cheap....i just replaced the speaker in it with a celestion that i bought on ebay and it sounds better...i'm also going to buy a sib fatdrive so i can get more of a tube sound to match my 400+...those fatdrives are expensive...$250...that's almost as much as the GK amp...i'm going to try to find one used
    ....in my experience there is just no such thing as a good sounding cheap amp or combo...lol

5. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    SWR LA-10 or LA-12 (I have the 10) fed with a BOD for breadth of character, and Beyer headphones powered by a Rane amp for those quiet moments

Attached Files: