1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a more "basic" sounds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roccobladr, Oct 6, 2009.

1. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    I need some help finding a good sound. I want something more "standard" than what I have right now. I have a 4 string IBanez BTB series with the active preamp. It must be the active pickups because my sound is just too aggressive for what I do. I cut through too much I think. I am in a cover band so I need something that doesn't stand out too much, but can still be heard. I feel like I am competing with the other sounds in the band instead of providing that backbone.

SOOOO I am wandering should I venture into the land of Fender and the P bass? I was never too fond of them, but I like the simple nature of it. Especially the Mark Hoppus p bass with just the volume knob.

any ideas on what basses I should check out?

2. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    hopefully i beat everyone else to the punch when i say get a P Bass and you cant go wrong

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    62 Reissue Precision - either MIA (if you can afford it) or one of the Japanese ones. I heard the Mexican ones are decent, but I haven't played one personally.

I did play a Hoppus once a few years ago, I wasn't crazy about it - I like being able to dial in tone when I need it.

4. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Fender time!

5. +1 to a P-Bass. Pretty sure you can use a P-Bass for any style of music!

6. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    i was NEVER a PBass guy until i met my baby. i hated the baseball bat neck on p's and i wanted a little more versitility thean what a standard P was willing to offer. so i found a P Bass with a PJ combo and a jazz neck and im in LOVE. if P has never been your cup o tea please check out a Precision Special or a Hot rod.

i have a P Plus and ill never let her go It will always be my favorite bass
    pbass2.

7. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    there is a MIM fender p bass on craigslist in my area for 285$ with a hardshell case. the only bad thing is the color, it looks like its purple. id rather have white, but whatever.

anything i need to look for with P basses when checkin them out?

also, are they heavy?

8. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    Before you buy a different bass, try to mess with what you have. Maybe blend more towards the neck pickup (just a little), roll back the treble, maybe different strings, etc. I had the same problem with my Peavey Cirrus and I've learned that some slight adjustments can go a long way.

9. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    some are some arent...mine is a 9.5lb'er ive seen em border on 7 ive seen em in the 11-12 range...hit or miss

10. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    How much do you want to spend?

I'm particularly fond of my Warwick Corvette Standard and Tobias Standard duo. Tobias covers everything modern-sounding, Warwick has that old-school thick growl.

Edit: By the way, I'm in a cover band too so I feel your pain. If I had to pick one bass to play forever in a cover band, it would be my Warwick. It's just the plain old passive Ash 5-string. Very *very* versatile. Pickup balance makes a big difference, tone knob does too, and you can change the tone a *lot* with just your fingers. It sounds totally different if you use a light touch or really dig in. Where you play on the strings matters too.

You might want to go try one out. They're not for everybody--they look funny, the strings are close together, and they've got necks like baseball bats if you get newer ones. But dang they sure have a handle on how to make expressive basses.

11. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    What's your rig? I have a hard time believing you can't EQ the "Cut" out of your Ibby.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, I would never say that buying a new bass is a "bad" idea. But maybe you should get to know your controls better. I used a BTB 5 in a cover band for over 1,000 shows. I found it to be usefull for all types of tones. Try setting everything on your amp to flat. Start with the controls on your bass at zero. Turn the treble slightly down. Turn the "big" knob on your mid control way to the left (almost all the way) and the small knob up a little. That will bring out your low mids. Then just mess with the blend knob. In all of those gigs the main thing I adjusted was the blend knob, other than VERY minor tweeking on the amp. But if you decide to get another bass, let me put in a vote for a Jazz. The neck pickup sounds a lot like a P (easy guys, I said a lot like, not exactly like) and you have the bridge pickup to dial in a little mid growl when you need it. Either way, good luck on your tone quest!

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

1) Passive bass
    2) Flats

Problem solved.

14. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    The thing is, my Ibanez active stuff is messed up I think. I know the 2 active eq knobs are at least. Tried to get it fixed, but Ibanez has special parts for it that they dont like to send out really. ( thats what the shop said) so it sounds ok now.

I have a Markbass CMD121 combo. Have the eq set flat all the time and just put the VPF filter up so the bass doesnt sound too bad. I think its those mid knobs being messed up that isnt allowing me to dial in my tone.

I have tried that Warwick out before and I wouldnt mind having it, but for now, I want something basic and reliable for playing in the cover band and for my own personal/original band playing, I will eventually invest in something else.

15. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    i love the smell of win in the morning

16. If I'm correct, BTB's have passive pups with active electronics - at least my BTB405QM does.

17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Flats + P = bass.

IMO, of course.

18. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Ditto - anything can be eq'd - well to a certain extent anyway.

But it's usually the opposite - trying to get a tame bass or guitar to stand out in the mix. You on the other hand should be able to tame your beast :) Since it's more reducing what you already have then adding what you don't have.

Make sense?

19. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Agreed.

Roll off some treble. Use both pickups together, or more of the neck.
    Try some Sadowsky flats on it.

You'll be hearing a different instrument.

Also, if you know you have an electronics problem with the bass, it's not fair to be making judgement on the bass. Have a different preamp put in it... have the current preamp in it pulled out and the bass make fully passive... or get a replacement preamp from the manufacturer. These basses get fixed when they get broke, it can be done.

20. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    A passive P Bass with flat wound strings. That's it. Basic, time tested and true.