1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a narrow neck 5 string ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Genrate, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Genrate

Genrate

Apr 19, 2015
    I own a 4 string Rickenbacker 3001 ... bought it new in 78... I'm looking for a 5 string to add as a gig bass or backup... hoping for similar string spacing and playing style... passive pickups are preferred but not required. Can you help? I like the Ibanez spacing but there seems to be muddled sound on low string ... SR 305 I liked the Fender Jazz bass ... love the sound but the spacing is too wide...
    I would appreciate some seasoned advice

2. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Depends what your budget is, but:-
    If you like the Ibanez spacing, I would try a higher end model like the SR505 and above. These models have Bartolini pickups or better.
    A good one to try are the new SR655 and SR755 - these are the slim SR basses but with Nordstrand P/J pickups. $749 brand new. There are two kinds of finish.
    Natural:
    Ibanez SR655 5-String Electric Bass Guitar Natural Flat | Musician's Friend
    Brown Burst
    Ibanez SR655 5-String Electric Bass Guitar Brown Burst Flat | Musician's Friend

The SR755 has a different finish for about $100 more.
    Ibanez SR755 5-String Electric Bass Guitar Natural Flat | Musician's Friend

Genrate likes this.
  3. Spend a little more for a higher end Ibby or look at G&L tribute models. L2500 or M2500 for about $700 new.
    The music man ray35 isn't bad either.
    Now if you want cheap, the MM sub ray5 is hard to beat. Just try the one you buy as they seem to vary.

4. Carvin (or whatever it is called now) gives you a choice, or did at one time. Their 5 strings are known to have narrower spacing as a general rule.

5. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Warwick neck are narrow some can be thick fretboard to back I like that though myself.

6. There is an Ibanez SR1205 in the classifieds for $450 that would be a great choice. I had the 4 string version and it was wonderful. I think Warwick and Ibanez are the only companies that have a 16mm standard spacing on their five strings.

Genrate and Maxdusty like this.
  7. I've played some 4 strings with necks about the same size as the neck on my stingray. You ever tried one?

Genrate likes this.
  8. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Ernie Ball/Musicman, whether Stingray or Sterling. Both are 17.5mm.

Genrate likes this.
  9. Genrate

Genrate

Apr 19, 2015
    No... but I will look this weekend in Houston Tx

10. Yeah check them out. The issue with a lot of people and 5 string necks is they tried basses where the neck has little to no taper to it. On the stingray the nut end of the neck is comparable to Some 4 strings for example a p bass, but the neck gradually gets wider so the right hand doesn't feel like the strings are to close together. On a lot of 5 strings theres not enough taper in the neck so the strings are more parallel to each other and you either end up with a bulky feeling neck or the string spacing is to close together under the right hand for my taste. On a stingray if you look closely the strings are fanned and are much wider at the bridge than they are at the nut. So you get a nice comfortable neck but the string spacing for your right hand is great also.

Genrate likes this.
  11. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I don't know the string spacing of the basses you mentioned,but the string spacing of this bass Snapshot_2015501 (6). is .359 at the nut Snapshot_2015502.

.687 at the bridge. Snapshot_2015501 (4).
    The nut width is 1,437.The total string width is 2.875.
    Pretty narrow.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  12. Genrate

Genrate

Apr 19, 2015
    Thank you all for your input... after playing most of your suggestions and many at the guitar store... I choose an Ibanez GSR 205
    The string spacing is very close to my Rick at the pickups... it is a touch narrower on the upper frets on the neck but with time it shouldn't be too hard to master...
    This bass has twin pickups with a separate volume for each... a tone knob and then an active bass boost. I will try it for a while and if I don't think it is necessary or a preferred sound I have a friend who said he can rewire it for me.
    The action was great right out of the box... no fret buzz and harmonic tuning was dead on to the open string tuning. I had my Rick strobe tuned when I got it.
    The workmanship is good... I may have to file the frets down some in the future... but it is very playable.

Again... thank you all for helping me to choose the best axe for my backup...
    May you each play the concerts of your dreams!

13. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez.

The Crossover Ibanez would be the smallest you could get, but it's a different beast.