1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a new pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Youngspanion, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    As the ever evolving double bassist, I've decided to try out a new amplification system. I am currently set up with a Fender Rumble 350 head into a TC Electronic RS210 cabinet. I've got a Hurley preamp and two pickups. One clicky set under the fingerboard and the other a regular Piezo wedged into the bridge wing. The 350 head has an input impedance of 1M Ohm. I'd like to get rid of the preamp and after some reading, I see that with this kind of input impedance I could do this successfully.

The question is this. What would be a good pickup to use in this situation? I feel that I can get away without the clicky pickup because Im going to install a set of Spirocores and change the gut strings out. I'm playing more jazz and I feel that the clicky is more for very heavy Rockabilly or Psycobilly. My slaps do NOT need to be so far out in front of a very loud band. I'll still be slapping plenty but for my purpose, I believe that one pickup will most likely work for me.

Is there a particular spec on a piezo pickup that I want to look at?

Max George likes this.
  2. Piezo discs have a rather high impedance. Thicker crystals like in the Underwood or Shadow bridge wing pickups have a lower one.
    Cheap bridge wing pickups could have been made from piezo discs.

Connecting two piezo discs in parallel without a preamp in front degrades the sound quality. So the bridge wing pickup directly into the amp might work. You can check if the preamp helps or not. Disconnecting the fingerboard pickup is a good idea. Several piezo pickups should have a separate input stage before getting mixed for best sound.

Max George likes this.