Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a small, affordable, amp (head)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by shoeline, Jan 13, 2006.

1. shoeline

shoeline

Jan 13, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I am thinking of buying a GK 112 MBX cabinet and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on a very small (lightweight) head under $500 that sounds good with acoustic bass.
    Also in another thread someone was asking about just using a DI box with a cabinet. Is this possible? What would it sound like? I already have a decent pre-amp that blends a magnetic pickup and an underwood.

2. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
  3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Acoustic Image Clarus I and II's are around used for $300-400. AI are super about product support. I sent mine in when I blew it up (my son actually) and they fixed it for free even though I bought it third hand. Good company and a great little amp.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If you're using a magnetic pickup I have to assume you're not that interested in getting an acoustic sound out of the beast?

I do try to (cause that's what I'm going for) so if you're not, feel free to disregard.

Buy a Woods. I went through the Polytone Brain, SWR BabyBlue (head) and a GK something or other that was skinny and light. All because I was looking for something that was "as good as" a Woods but would be cheaper. I should have just saved my money and bought the Woods; none of that other stuff measured up.

The AI I have note had the opportunity to use myself, but I have heard two bass players that did and got an excellent sound (Bob Sabin and Steve Doyle); I do know that Steve used to use the Eden Traveller which kept breaking.

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Yea Me too.

6. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you are buying a GK 112MBX, you could get the matching GK MB150S-III head for under 500USD. (The list price is $599, but they are widely discounted to below the $500 level.) http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mb_hd_150S.html (You might want to keep in mind that you can buy the GK MBS150S-III /112 combo for $600US and the MBS150E-III /112 combo for under $700, so buying a GK Microbass head and extension cabinet separately is a more expensive way to go.)

7. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    A used Clarus is absolutely the best deal. I use a Woods, but that is because I decided nothing less than the best tone would suffice. But a used Clarus is an unbeatable value. AI is a company that stands firmly behind its product, so if you ever have a problem, they will fix it (and probably for free).