1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a small, affordable, amp (head)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by shoeline, Jan 13, 2006.

1. shoeline

shoeline

Jan 13, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I am thinking of buying a GK 112 MBX cabinet and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on a very small (lightweight) head under $500 that sounds good with acoustic bass.
    Also in another thread someone was asking about just using a DI box with a cabinet. Is this possible? What would it sound like? I already have a decent pre-amp that blends a magnetic pickup and an underwood.

2. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
  3. Acoustic Image Clarus I and II's are around used for $300-400. AI are super about product support. I sent mine in when I blew it up (my son actually) and they fixed it for free even though I bought it third hand. Good company and a great little amp.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If you're using a magnetic pickup I have to assume you're not that interested in getting an acoustic sound out of the beast?

I do try to (cause that's what I'm going for) so if you're not, feel free to disregard.

Buy a Woods. I went through the Polytone Brain, SWR BabyBlue (head) and a GK something or other that was skinny and light. All because I was looking for something that was "as good as" a Woods but would be cheaper. I should have just saved my money and bought the Woods; none of that other stuff measured up.

The AI I have note had the opportunity to use myself, but I have heard two bass players that did and got an excellent sound (Bob Sabin and Steve Doyle); I do know that Steve used to use the Eden Traveller which kept breaking.

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Yea Me too.

6. If you are buying a GK 112MBX, you could get the matching GK MB150S-III head for under 500USD. (The list price is $599, but they are widely discounted to below the $500 level.) http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mb_hd_150S.html (You might want to keep in mind that you can buy the GK MBS150S-III /112 combo for $600US and the MBS150E-III /112 combo for under $700, so buying a GK Microbass head and extension cabinet separately is a more expensive way to go.)

7. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    A used Clarus is absolutely the best deal. I use a Woods, but that is because I decided nothing less than the best tone would suffice. But a used Clarus is an unbeatable value. AI is a company that stands firmly behind its product, so if you ever have a problem, they will fix it (and probably for free).