Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a specific sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Apr 1, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am in search of a certain sound.

I want a 5 string bass that sounds very full on the D and G strings when popped.

My Geddy Lee does this, while retaining that yummy 70's Jazz characteristics.

I love the tone of a 70's Jazz.

If I could get both of these sounds in one bass, I would be very happy.

To finance this, I will have to sell something else.

My five and six string basses all sound great. But with the exception of my Zon, they all sound very thin when popping the D, G, (and on the sixers) the C string.

It gets lost in the mix.

I have tried EQ.

Maybe it is my strings? I love a lot of treble, so I use stainless steels. And most nickels I have played die very quickly due to my body chemistry.

So, kind of scattershooting, but if any of you guys with tons of experience with different basses could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!:)

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    How about a Warmoth deluxe 5 with a "vintage vibe" and your own twist??It may be a crap shoot, but less expensive than:
    Sadowski
    Dingwall "super J"
    F
    Keep us posted.

ps: you will always be HGF not SF in my "book"!!

3. embellisher

You know, I forgot about Nino. Maybe he could help me design a Valenti that would do the trick.

ps: Should I change my title back?:)

4. embellisher

Here are some things that other people have suggested for me to get this tone.

Roscoe
    Dingwall Afterburner II
    Warmoth or Valenti Super J

Here are some other basses that I think might get me there tonally.

Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne or Daryl Jones 5
    Zon Sonus Custom or Legacy 5
    Maybe a Duncan equipped Lakland 55-02?

Keep in mind, I want 70's Jazz growl, but the bass must be very full sounding when popped.

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The 55-01 has weak D and G's? I must not know what weak is because when I played the 55-02 it was full all the way around. Maybe it's differen't on the two models? I know that my Ray is pretty weak on the G, and minorly the D but I didn't think the 55-01 would be.

6. embellisher

The D is great. The G is great fingerstyle, but is a tad weak when popped.

7. embellisher

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    This is what solved that issue for me....

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=266-270

There are relativly cheap Passive low pass filters you can put into an effects loop. (search up FMOD on google)

What that will allow you to do is crank the bass up a little to fatten up the high strings without generating a bunch of boom and mud on the lower registers of a five string.

It's counter intuitive but the 50hz filter is the one you want.
    If you're trying to make a B string growel, you really don't want the low fundamental frequencies.

It works for me.

9. Tfunked

Tfunked

Dec 30, 2003
    Custom wound P pickup??

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I would like to steer you towards the dingwall, but of course, dont know about the active electronics. Do you have any experience with the OBP-3? Maybe some creative thinking and you could imagine the tone.

I tell ya what Id like, is a Dingwall with Pete Skjold's pre-amp in it. That would be smokin hehe. And actually, you should really come to the guitar show and check out Pete's new stuff for yourself man, you might find exactly what your looking for right there. Ignore all this if you have heard the new stuff already, I forget hehe.

If nothing else, good luck in your search Jeff and keep us posted on what you decide.

11. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    A Sadowsky Metro will do the trick, if you have the money for it.

12. embellisher

Yeah, I was thinking a Sadowsky Metro might work. I don't think I can afford one, though.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My sterling has very great sounding 'pops' on the D and G strings. Since an SR5 has the same electronics, is it wrong of me to think that an SR5 will sound similiar?

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My Metro has the best slap sound of any bass I've played, and its not even an ash body. I can only imagine how spanky the ash ones are. On this bass pops are very present and round ... and the bass control actually makes the sound FATTER unlike every other onboard EQ I've ever used, which make the sound boomy for my taste (seems like the 2 band has a wider bandwidth on the boost).

Do you like marcus miller's pop sound? ;)

For a cheap first shot, you could try a set of roger's stainless strings if you havn't already, the've got a great taught feel and sound ... perfect for slap style.

15. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Have someone make you custom pickups like Carey, Aero or others, and then you can play with an angle and placement of the pickups to get exactly what you want.

Cheers

16. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I recently built-up a Warmoth Deluxe 5 with Sadowsky pickups, an OBP-1, and added the passive tone (treble roll-off), sounds awesome.

Roll off the passive treble, add some bass (active) and I have a nice earthy, thick tone.

17. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Some kind of Ash body J style bass with sadowsky humcancelling pickups and electronics sounds like the call to me ... Maybe a Skyline DJ? Then string up with sadowsky stanless and thump yourself silly :bassist:

Or wait until some fool decides to sell a metro on the used market :eyebrow:

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    A Lakland Darryl Jones 5 with TI Powerbass and you'll be in tone heaven.

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I just noticed that Fender makes a Marcus Miller 5 ... and that it comes in sunburst and white, not just natural. Another option for you, though pretty close in price to a Metro unless you can find one used.