1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a versatile bass. Suggestions? Reference links included.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bonga_rascal, Aug 26, 2012.

1. bonga_rascal

bonga_rascal

Sep 9, 2010
    Hey,

So, a little introduction.

I started playing bass around 5 years back. Initially, 2 of my heroes were Steve Harris and Billy Sheehan as I was really into the whole Hard Rock and Heavy Metal scene.But as time went on, I got into a lot of different stuff. I now play in a jazz-blues band and have played in Rock/Pop bands in the past.

I initially owned a really cheap bass that I modified to insanity. Changing pickups, preamps, tuners, heck- even the frets!

I am now looking for a new 5 string bass that is very versatile, light, balanced and something that withstand the occasional tour. I should warn you right from the start that I am not the type of guy who'll polish his bass everyday and I'm someone who likes to view ' dings ' on an instrument as something akin to storytellers. I have loads of dings on my bass and I can pretty much tell how I got which one.

So, with that out, I have a few clips to share with you guys. Now bear in mind, these are YouTube clips and with the heavy compression associated with uploaded videos they may not represent the best bass sound. But still, here we go. Check it out:

Chaka Khan - Move Me No Mountain.

I absolutely love Anthony Jackson's playing on this album and he has become a big hero of mine. His sound is in one word - COLOSSAL.

So there you have it folks. I've been doing some research of my own on getting the perfect bass for sometime now. I'd like to have s supremely versatile instrument that I can take to any gig.

I don't have a huge budget, so I am thinking of putting together a bass on my own by buying parts from USA Custom Guitars and hardware and electronics from Best Bass Gear. I'm thinking that Nordstrand Dual Coils + Pope Pre with coil splits for the pups will give me maximum versatility.

What do you guys think? Sorry about the long post, but I figured this is the best place to ask this. I've been here for a long time now and after seeing all the great basses people own, I think it's time I got one for myself :D

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks a lot!

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    A 5 string jazz bass if you want to go passive (take your pick, Fender, Sawdowsky, custom - my personal favorite -, etc), or a 5 string musicman stingray if you go the active route. Both incredibly versatile. Either of these will cover all of the above.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Looking for a versatile bass. Suggestions? Reference links included.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noting is more versatile than a 5 string active bass.

4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    You need:
    1 P
    1 J
    1 Sadowsdy
    1 Fodera
    and most likely a J with a Sadowsky preamp

That should cover it!

5. My Swiss Army knife bass of choice is the G&L L-2500 with the K-switch (single coil) option. You get a bass that gets the old school tones in passive mode (the bass & treble contols work in passive mode), and modern sounds in active mode. My only issue with this bass, is that I wish the sting spacing wasn't so close.