1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for acoustic electric bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by holllowbody, Mar 25, 2009.

1. holllowbody

holllowbody

Mar 25, 2009
    ...with a budget of about $2000 and I want a 4 string bass.

There isn't much out there that I can go test out so I am basically stuck with looking at manufacturers web sites and reading.

What are the top choices in my budget?

2. holllowbody

holllowbody

Mar 25, 2009
    Well, so far I see the Ovation B778 and the Larrivee B-03RE.

They both look fairly nice and are within budget.

Any thoughts on those two bass'?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

3. tttmmoorree

tttmmoorree

Feb 25, 2009
    the warwick alien acoustic is quite nice, or a rob allen of course

4. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    There is a very nice used Warwick Alien at www.thelowend.net. I have played this bass in person and its in great shape and sounds awesome, $1750. Also, Brian has a used Breedlove 4 string for $599. I have a Breedlove 5 Atlas, and it is perfect for my needs.

5. Try getting a used Guild Starfire, I've never played one but have heard nothing but great things about it

6. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    If you want to be able to test something out and see if acoustic is your thing, try out a Dean Playmate EAB. Not a great instrument, and the preamp sucks, but it's a nice puddle to get your feet wet in.

7. Of the top of my head I can think of Takamine and even a Martin, both of which can should be within your budget if you go used.

The Takoma Thunderchief gets quite good reviews also and it is renowned as the loudest of the acoustic bass guitars.

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Dollar for dollar an Ibanez AEB can't be beat.. I used to own one.. spent tons and tons of time shopping.. Just shipped it in a hard case for less than $300

I shipped it as am expecting a 5 string fretless acoustic.

The big name stuff (Takoma, Martin etc ~$1500) is OK... challenge is that many folks discuss volume - you commonly will have to plug in inless it's a 1 or 2 person acoustic setup.

Much of this depends on how much you plan on playing it.. where you plan on playing etc.

Now's the trickier issue.. they do sound different.

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Best deal will be Takamine IMO. Nicer and more easily playable (but not as loud): Fender Victor Bailey. Nicest would be a Tacoma from Atlantabassgallery.com (now out of production).

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have one, and two weeks ago would have said the same thing. But a friend let me play a set with his Martin B1 and I thought it was almost as loud. I'll keep my Thunderchief until it disintegrates, though.

11. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I vote for the Tacoma. One of the nicest and best playing ABGs I've ever played.

I would love to try a Rob Allen sometime.

12. The Rob Allen isn't a true acoustic, but since you'll hafta plug in anyway, nothing will compare to the ergonomics. That's why I have two....and will be picking up #3 in about an hour. :smug:

13. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    Take a look at the Martin Guitar 16 series. They make a thin body one which is the 00C-16GTAE or the slightly thicker BC-16GTE. I owned the 00C and it's a great acoustic/electric bass. As others have said, they need to be amplified. You're simply not going to be heard otherwise. I live near the Martin factory and have friends there that work in the Custom Shop. I can personally vouch for the quality and sound of a Martin. Far as price goes, you're looking at 40% off list. That price is from Nazareth Music which is one of Martin's oldest dealers. If they don't have it, they literally pick it up at the factory. Check out Martin's website for the complete specs on both of these basses.

14. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    i enjoy my Tacoma a great deal (4 string fretless) but have to recommend the Rob Allen or Turner Renaissance for any setting where you'll plug in. Feels and sounds better--more versatile. Gorgeous tone.

Like spade2you, I own a whole bunch and still want more!

MB2:

DSCN1757.

15. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    What sound are you going for? Right now I'm partial to my Takamine TB10. So much so, I'm even considering selling my Rob Allen Deep 4 which was the first one he made. Not 100% on that yet, but the thought is being kicked around.

16. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    I've owned the Martin B-1 and now have the Fender Victor Bailey. Both are great basses though you will need an amp when playing with other instruments. It does surprise me how much I like the sound of them amplified though. Also, I tried 4 or 5 of each model before I purchased them. To me, there is more variation in the models of accoustics than slab-bodied basses. I would highly recommend that you try before you buy.

17. I own a Larrivee CB-09-4. The "C" stands for the Florentine cutaway body. It came with a Fishman underbridge pup and pre-amp. It's very nice to play. Sounds sweet unplugged, though I haven't heard it through an amp yet. It was built back in the early 90's. There's an attached pic to my post in the "Acoustic bass fetish club" thread.

--Dave E.

18. i love my 4 string tacoma fretless but my input jack is loose and i can not fit my hand in the offset paisley soundhole to tighten it up.hate to do it and wont unless absolutly necessary,but may have to sand the soundhole big enough to get my hand in.used my nephews small arm once but couldnt get the input jack tight enough!any suggestions?:help:

19. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Hi I've owned the Martin B-1 ..great bass, but very delicate. You can only use light acoustic strings. I have owned the Washburn AB-10 nice sound plugged in but very quiet on it's own.The loudest acoustic I've owned is a Kramer Ferrington..you can use regular strings, I strung it with tapewounds..killer tone.. They are on Ebay once in awhile.:)