Looking for an Underwood

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Robert, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Robert

Nov 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I recently bought a Schertler Stat-B set, and I guess it works out okay together with my SWR Baby Blue.

However I find the tone too 'hollow' without the feeling of focused tone energy. The sounds is perhaps more 'natural' than for example the Underwood pickup, which seems to give a more compressed and unnatural sound, but with note 'focus'.

Where can you get an Underwood? Does anyone of you have one lying around? I feel I just have to test the pickup that Dave Holland uses. ;)
  2. Underwood...$129. www.lemurmusic.com
    I use the Underwood because of my five strings.
    If I played a four I would use the Realist....have you tried it?
  3. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    I have an Underwood I would be willing to let go for - oh, $75.00. The foil covering around the jack is a little crinkled, but it works perfectly. Please e-mail me for pix and details.
  4. Robert

Nov 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No. But it seems like a lot of work putting it on and off.
    I've heard the Realist-sound is supposed to be quite dark and without clear highs too.. I guess it differs from bass to bass as usual.

Why do you have to use the Underwood for five strings?
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

Yeah, you don't. Put it on and leave it on. But yes, for just checking it out it may seem like much. For what it's worth, I've been using a realist for 5(?) years, no problems, like the sound yada yada.
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I've got an Underwood laying around too, if anyone's interested. I also have a Realist that shorted out when the wire started to pull away from the element; was kind of hoping to fix it and sell it, or possibly put it back into action.
  7. Actually, i've never tried the Realist on the Bohmann. Most pick ups that install on the bass side,in my case, below the B string, the vibrations have trouble with clarity all the way over to the G string side of my full size bridge. Or if I'd mount it under the G side, same is true of the B.
    I refuse to take a chance of moving my bridge at all, to get the Realist under the bridge foot. I've been told you don't even have to move the bridge to sneak the pick-up in. but I aint gonna chance it!!
    Another sign of aging!
  8. Robert

Nov 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Regarding the Underwood, your email is not accessible for me. I sent you a personal message instead.