1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for bass buying advice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OZ4DE, Sep 6, 2020.

1. OZ4DE

OZ4DE

Sep 6, 2020
    I'm looking to find a bass that I can record and achieve the bass tone in this video:

The bassist in the video seems to be playing some crappy vintage bass with two small passive humbuckers. This might not be the bass he used to record the track though, could just be for that retro look.

From what I've looked up the two bass guitars that sound closest to the sound are a P bass and an Epiphone Jack Casady (both stringed with either flat or tapewound strings and tone rolled off). However I'm not 100% convinced as I'm only basing my knowledge off of You Tube videos.

If anyone has more experience playing this tone and has some better advice on what bass would be best for achieving this, I would be very grateful to hear your opinions on the matter.

RyanOh likes this.
  2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I would try a P-bass with a foam mute under the strings near the bridge. This sound is also compressed A LOT.

garp likes this.
  3. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

I'd get the P bass, flatwound strings, use a pick, and get the left/right hand muting down. Basic EQ to roll off high end, achievable with almost any bass, passive pickups preferred.

Craig T Vector and garp like this.
  4. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    P bass will get you close. I’d try one of those MIM Mustang Basses with the pj pickups. I’d go so far as to get the shell pink one from Chicago Music Exchange. I would use flatwound strings, probably GHS precision flats, and a little foam mute or good palm muting technique, and a pick or just my thumb.

Some of the tone you are hearing is from the diminished scale length. P bass will have more ringing, piano tone from the lows. Short scale Basses just have a lo-fi thump that is unique.

garp likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021