Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for bass instruction book WITH NO TABS

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Jul 27, 2005.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I'm trying to get comfortable reading sheet music. So does anyone know any books with only simple sheet music examples?

2. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Are you interested in Jazz?
    "The Jazz Bass Book" by John Goldsby doesn't include a tab. It has plenty of examples, sample lines and exercises. It's ostensibly written for upright players, but that's not a problem. It's all bass.

"The Serious Bass Player" is another. It's a self-tutoring book that includes scales, modes etc as well as some exercises. Pretty dense stuff though, IMHO

You can get them at BassBooks.com

3. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    Hal Leonard Bass Method, Book I. No tab, which is precisely why I use it with all my students.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I think I might start posting standard notation instead the lazy way (tab).

That's not to say the lazy method (tab) isn't a practical form of communication to get the point across.

5. Please do switch. I'm not a fluent tab reader at all. Why learn to sight read something that will never give me more than half the picture (and changes depending on tuning!)?

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    The Complete Electric Bass Player: The Method Volume I

It's what I used in my first 1.5 years of lessons. No TAB at all, and it gets you used to different rhythms. Slowly forces you to work on things like shifts up the neck. The first half of the book is all in C Major so you can get your sight reading chops up to speed before you have to deal with different key signatures and such.

7. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Do they have these books at borders or something, that way I dont have to wait through S&H

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Any of Ed F.'s books - The Hal Leonard series Bk 1-3, Building Walking Bass Lines, etc.

9. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    Simandel - all notation all the time

Beatles - the complete scores