1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for best online lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Stepheno, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Stepheno

Stepheno

Sep 14, 2019
    i have looked at a few programs. I narrowed it down to ebass with James or taking bass w Scott. Any one have experience or which they prefer.
    Any info appreciated can not afford to waste money. I can play just want more theory ... scales modes chord structure.

2. Fred Pucci

Fred Pucci

May 2, 2019
    Scott’s is great, but I can also highly recommend Ariane Cap’s “Music Theory for the Bass Player”: (Steady Track Music Theory for the Bass Player - The Course). Feel like it’s more structured and focused than Scott’s which has a ton of resources but not quite as systematic in its approach. Can’t go wrong with either.

3. Check out Mark Smith's Talkingbass

Membership is free. His lessons go into great detail and they are well organized and easy to follow.

On the Lesson Map page you will find a wealth of free lessons -- including a comprehensive section on theory:

Free Online Bass Lessons - Talkingbass.net - Lesson Map

He also has some paid lessons, very reasonably priced, if you ever decide to go that route. And if you're patient he has sales several times a year that will get you as much as 30% off.

I personally enrolled in two of his paid courses -- Sight Reading and Chord Tone Essentials -- and would highly recommend him to anyone that wanted to expand their music knowledge.

Best of luck in your music endeavors!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    mambo4, reddog, Clark W and 4 others like this.
  4. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    That is offered for free in several places, for example; ask Google or go to How to get started? You have to dig it out, it is not spoon fed, but, the digging will help your understanding of why music wants to do certain things. If you want to be spoon fed the following comments apply.

Scott's lessons have value however, IMO fall into the vending machine style of instructions, i.e. here are some videos, pick one and get busy. Mark's lessons on Talkingbass IMO have more of an organized structure and I find this better fits into my learning style. Fred mentions Cap's instruction a lot and I'm sure there will be value here also. I have no experience with his work.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  5. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I fully agree with this. I haven't done any paid lessons with Mark, but I absolutely love (read that as LOVE) his online, free courses. They are laid out in a methodical fashion, where each lesson builds on the last. His explanations are excellent, straightforward. His lessons really helped me go up several levels in my playing. I've been playing for years and have had lessons in the past, but had many gaps that needing filling. I liked his teaching style and lesson plan.

reddog and FatStringer52 like this.
  6. Stepheno

Stepheno

Sep 14, 2019
    I am sorry I did not mean Scott. I meant Marks's Talking bass Log In ‹ TalkingBass — WordPress or ebass with James Eager Bass Guitar Lessons Online eBassGuitar.

I really like Mark's free content & his his paid can only be better ( I assume). But being on fixed income I need to watch for what I spend. I have a trial with ebass , yet always come back to Mark's site for some reason, I think he explains things better. But he can expensive if you buy every program, where ebass is all there you just need to sort through it all. I will say the guy from ebass will stay in touch w. you. I have yet to get a personal email from Mark, I have emailed him. James at ebass seems very understanding, though, the courses are not oraganized & I have asked....where to I start. I am not just staring out, but have not played in years. Both teach hand technique which at my age I am not going to relearn, i have years of playing my style. But what to learn more on scales, MODES, and how they relate to chords. I have NO trouble learning songs & have no interest in slapping. Just basic theory that can be applied to a keyboard as easily as well as guitar.

Thank you '

GKon and FatStringer52 like this.
  7. Mark's free Music Theory lessons get really in depth and if you are looking to learn the things you mentioned (scales, modes, chord structure, etc) I do not think you would be disappointed. You don't have to buy a thing! There is enought material in that one section to keep you busy for years. I would not skip around, start from the beginning (Intervals, I believe) and progressively work through the lessons, even if you know some of the things he's teaching. If you know it, it will be a good refresher and you'll just progress through the lesson a bit quicker than someone just learning the material. He does refer to previous lessons in the Theory section, so that's why I would recommend working progressively.

I also purchased one of eBassGuitar's courses, but I only worked through about 2/3's of the lessons. For me, they were written for a very new beginner. James does of fine job of teaching, but IME his material is more geared to the novice player. YMMV.

GKon and MAXSPINRUN like this.
  8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Plus 1. :thumbsup:

9. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Between Mark and James, and having in mind the OP's criteria, the former is a better choice.

FatStringer52 and GKon like this.
  10. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    After reading your last post I'm going to recommend a book I'm in the process of studying. The Complete Idiot's Guide To Music Composition has been of value. In a nut shell it points out that we can compose starting from the chord progression or from the melody and then has detailed information how to go about this. I've just finished the chord first section and have just started the melody first section. https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idi...de+to+Music+Composition&qid=1568549919&sr=8-1

I think this will fit into you wanting something on scales, modes and how they relate to chords.

I bought it used from Amazon.com. I two am on fixed income and old enough to kinda like using a book. Perhaps this book and the free stuff on the Internet can be what you are looking for.

Happy trails.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    FatStringer52 likes this.
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Carol Kaye has lessons available for purchase on her website. She will even do lessons via Skype.

Berklee College of Music has some great online courses as well.

808P123 likes this.
  12. 808P123

808P123

Mar 25, 2015
    Carol Kaye.

13. cactus1

cactus1

Oct 6, 2009
    Ft Myers
    Scott's lessons usually runs a free 14 day trial, so you can check his entire site.

14. I like Scott’s Bass Lessons, particularly for those who want to get going now but I like and admire Ariane Cap’s approach for those who are already playing and need something more. Both will serve you well and both have enough free content to help you decide if you want to stay with them. Their subscription rates are very reasonable so it’s on you to use them if you do subscribe. Since they both did for me what I needed I’ve paid little attention to most other online instructors and wouldn’t comment on them without knowing a little about them.

Ariane Cap has a number of etudes that have helped me enormously. FWIW I have all of Carol Kaye’s Electric Bass Lines books, and a couple others, though I haven’t gotten them out in years. Over the years they’ve cleared up questions about the bass lines in several songs.

flatwound251 likes this.
  15. Scott's bass lessons was good for me.

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

They just closed enrollment for this session. But the Practice Accelerator course offered through Scotts Bass Lessons a few times each year is an excellent way to get into the online lesson thing. I’ve been playing bass for many years. But I recently took the course as a sort of refresher and got a great deal out of it. I reminded me of many things I already knew, recalled some stuff I had forgotten about, and presented several other things (or different ways of looking at them) I hadn’t seen before. Runs about $150 without a coupon code. And IMO it was money well spent.

17. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Here’s where I started. Pebber Brown is a musician and a teacher at a college in California. He’s the best I have found for really TEACHING theory in a systemic, thorough and understandable approach. The example I embedded is the first (I think) of many where he is reviewing material with his students. It’s the next best thing to taking a theory course at your local college. I also put a link to his YouTube channel that you can use to sift through his other videos. By looking at the titles you can watch them in order. I spent a whole winter watching his classes and taking notes as if I were in the classroom. Definitely take notes, pause and rewind because, as you’ll find there’s a lot of material and it all builds on previous fundamentals. Hope this helps.

Pebber Brown

reddog likes this.
  18. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    @Stepheno
    This is the best video I found that clearly explains modes. Again, take notes. Around the 17:00 Pebber will articulate that in his own way.:roflmao:

Also, here’s the first one I started watching and probably the most condensed.

19. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Another plus I forgot to mention about Mark's free lessons on talkingbass.net is that they typically have material you can download for each lesson, be that sheetmusic/tablature, as well as backing tracks to play along with. I am thoroughly impressed with how much material he offers for free.

FatStringer52, reddog and MCF like this.
  20. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Thanks for this link. Scott's bass is really entertaining, in a talk show kinda way. Mark has a format similar to Active Melody for guitar players. The difference is Brian at AM has an unlimited program that I pay yearly. I continue to pay for the subscription to continue access and to support Brian's endeavor. He looks to be quite successful at it, something he deserves.

I like the format with Mark offering paid modules. The idea of paying for specific info appeals to me.

Anyway thanks for the link, I signed up. :)

FatStringer52 likes this.