1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for best online lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Stepheno, Sep 14, 2019.

1. zmebass76

zmebass76 Makin' bass faces since '92... Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Port Neches, Tx
    I find it odd that no one here has mentioned the Jeff Berlin Education courses that he offers online. Seeing that he bases the core of his curriculum on learning music, I would assume he has good online lessons. Does anyone watching this thread have any experience with Jeff's lessons?

2. Stepheno

Stepheno

Sep 14, 2019
    Seems like I can not reach anyone at Mark's Talking bass. I am interested in the all access monthly , but takes me to an error page. I really like this program, but buying each block can get expensive. I wondered if anyone has heard from them. The site I am using as a free trial emails me almost daily, got to give them credit for that & I have a special offer there since I made some purchases on books. My trila will be running out soon. Hope mark's site gets back to me.

3. It is my understanding that Mark only opens up enrollment for the All-Access Membership a couple of times a year. I don't know what kind of schedule he has for that membership.

TalkingBass is just Mark. So you can imagine the amount of email that he receives. It may take him a little while to get back to you. He's a member here, so we'll tag him and see if we can get a reply . . . @markjsmithbass

4. Stepheno

Stepheno

Sep 14, 2019
    Thank you so much, I really don't want to pay for something else, as I like his program.

5. Zoolion

Zoolion

Oct 31, 2014
    None
    I have found Joe Hubbard to be pretty awesome in the way he lays out material and the lessons are dense and no BS. There is a definite curriculum with Joe's material and that contributes to progress by not throwing you into he deep end without a solid foundation.

bassfuser likes this.
  6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    There is also Studybass.com.

bhendrix likes this.
  7. TexasEdition

TexasEdition

Sep 25, 2019
    I like this site, but it's just not as polished as the others. It has that turn of the millennium PHP look to it.

I'm a new member here, and have been noodling with the bass for about 2 months now. I've seemed to have "hit the wall" with my development and looking for some formal instruction. I don't have a lot of time for weekly lessons with a human, and my schedule does not always permit regular meeting times and a consistent practice schedule.

So I've noodled around with Yousician. I like their "guitar hero" approach, but I have not moved on to the paid lessons.

Scott's - I've been through many of his free videos, but he does spend a lot of time goofing off and not getting to the point. One lesson actually started 8 minutes into a 15 minute video.

Arian seems very structured, which I like, but what little I saw seemed very boring and was of no value without the book.

I did sign up for these and several more to get on their email lists with the hope that one or more will offer a cheaper price over the next few weeks to get me to stop resisting. I know some of them claim to have "money back guarantees", but in my experience with online offers, those are very difficult, if not impossible to overcome. It usually entails changing CC numbers to calling the CC company to start declining payments.

8. Did you make it clear TO HIM that you wanted a “jam partner” and not a lesson? Or that you wanted him to teach you somebody else’s online lesson? An intractable problem for teachers is a student who is closed to learning.

9. Summary of Online Bass Lessons mentioned in this thread:

Ariane Cap - https://arianecap.com

Scott’s Bass Lessons - https://scottsbasslessons.com

Jeff Berlin - Lessons — Jeff Berlin Music Group

StudyBass - http://www.studybass.com

TalkingBass (Mark J Smith)- https://www.talkingbass.net

ebassguitar (James Eager) - https://ebassguitar.com

Carol Kaye (skype lessons only) - The Official Carol Kaye Web Site

Berklee College of Music (formal online courses) - Berklee Online - Music Degree, Certificates, Courses

teachmebassguitar (Roy Vogt) - https://www.teachmebassguitar.com

10. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Touched a nerve did I?. First of all I'm pushing 70 ,. I don't need Mel-Bay at my age, something two instructors did during my 45 min "hour" and to answer your question, specifically, I made my exact intentions known, both times. I wanted some licks and approaches to 12 bar blues fills. Is that too much to.ask? Apparently not, Active MELODY...provides that. I understand that there is a tried and true approach to teaching someone to play guitar or bass but there is a "market" of older players who don't have the time to invest in full on training and theroy. Knowing what a market needs or wants is pretty key to success. The point here is, there are many ways to skin a cat. Brian = Brentwood, Tn. My last annoyed instructor Dodge Neon....those observations matter sometimes.

11. Your age matters not (I’m 69) because the rudiments of music don’t change as you age. I’ll offer you the same advice I give students in all fields: if your teacher isn’t working out for you, try a different teacher. We all learn differently. Or, try to connect with a player who doesn’t do formal teaching. Most of us, if not all of us, have learned something from casual get-togethers where somebody says, “try this” or “how’d you do that?”

WRT your Brentwood, TN vs. Dodge Neon illustration, Warren Buffett lives in a nice but ordinary neighborhood in Omaha and Sam Walton drove a beat-up old pickup truck. These facts are irrelevant to a teacher’s skills or to a productive student-teacher relationship.

12. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    Fair enough, point taken. Honest I'm not a grumpy person, lol. My original post was sincere , I would prefer a human instructor to an on-line. I tried two, not saying the right one is not out there. I would also prefer to buy from a neighborhood music store, perhaps with new online sales tax laws the smart, flexible shop keeper will be able to secure a piece of the market for himself without a 6-9% handicap built in. I misunderstood the caps in your post because we agree on the instructor points. My Brentwood /Neon was uncalled for, I apologise. There are many who do a great job at whatever they do, where they live what they drive are inconsequential. My personal experience with two instructors that did not gel with me, at all, promted that, nothing more. :)

13. When I learned to fly I flew with nine instructors from introduction through my private pilot check flight. WRT music, it could’ve gone the same way in our neck of the woods (Chicago far suburb) except that I began with accordion and later, clarinet. Teachers of those are (were?) more rooted than guitar teachers in general. I can make progress with online and book lessons but one-on-one is always more effective for me. Keep at it!

14. Stepheno

Stepheno

Sep 14, 2019
    I tried the Intro package on Talkingbass.net. I emailed Mark this past week after I finished that section, never heard from him, little disappointed. So this is the 2nd program I have tried. I think he did an excellent job, but if someone does not answer your questions & you are paying money I am having 2nd thoughts if I should buy the next group of lessons. ( Someone on here said, there is nothing like a real instructor if there is one in your area.)

I tried ebass and James emailed me a few times on his own. I thought that the courses where in no sequential order & felt overwhemled. That is why I did not continue after the trial. But he did stay in touch via email & I bought his book. I guess if he put the lessons in some order I would go back there.

Only guy that seems to interest me is Scott's...I have read good & bad. Heard he does a lot of talking off the subject. But that is expensive $30 a month. He has quite a lot of material there. I emailed for some info yesterday & was surprised I heard back in "2 hours"....that was impressive.

So, I like the way Mark teaches, but if I continue I also have to realize, no customer support, you are on your own. James will get back to me, but hard to sort out his courses. And Scott.......not sure if I should try or not.

Thanks

MCF likes this.
  15. Considering what SBL offers, $30 a month is dirt cheap if you use it and expensive only if you don’t. When I take my now occasional one-on-one lessons I’m paying $50 (one teacher/area of study) or $70 (a different teacher/area) per hour. Since I use what I pay for it’s worth every cent.

There’s yet another route you can go: truefire.com. It doesn’t have a sequential lessons arrangement but there is a “Learning Path” that’s a sequence of their courses that will take you from novice to advanced. Its pay as you go, if you like, or you can buy a year of unlimited access to all the courses for a reasonable price, either $29 month to month or $169 (on sale at the moment) for a full year. They also offer Skype lessons. I haven’t checked them out, though. https://truefire.com/learning-paths/bass-guitar-learning-path/a14

16. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Mark is in England. Don’t expect immediate response. His lessons are really good IMO.

Frankly, I’d suggest Roy Vogt’s Teach Me Bass Guitar course. Get the lessons; either the DVDs or streaming. Be sure to get the book. Go through each lesson in order and don’t move on to the next until you’ve mastered the lesson. There is a lot there, very comprehensive. But start at the beginning and resist looking ahead. Next best thing to a live instructor if you can’t utilize one in your area. Supplement with Scott’S SBL and Mark’s Talking Bass and other online sources. It takes time and patience.

Good luck!