1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by redstrak, Jan 6, 2012.

1. redstrak

redstrak

Feb 14, 2011
    Riverside CA
    I've always been of the school of thought that bass is bass. I'm looking for some effects that are quintessential to all bass players.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What are you looking to sound like?

3. You're going to have to be a little more forthcoming about what you're looking for, tone-wise. I don't think there is any such thing as an effect that is quintessential to EVERYone. There are definitely effects that are common in certain genres. You haven't filled out your profile, so we don't have any info on what kind of music you play, or maybe who some of your favorite bassists are.

4. a good compressor goes along way.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Any kind of effect thats been used for guitar has also been used for bass. It all depends how willing you are to be other then just a basic bass player. Compressor/sustainer and overdrive nare allways used by myself along with some ring mod and a little bit of reverb for room ambience. Since processor creates ready for recording tone, a little bit of room ambience via reverb works well for bot more space to the sound. I'll occasionally also use a bit of chorus. Sometimes echo to.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Quintessential, adj.: Representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class: "the quintessential tough guy".

So you could use it talking about the "quintessential driven-SVT grind" or the "quintessential 1980's chorus tone"... but the phrase "quintessential to all bass players" doesn't mean anything.

I know, this doesn't answer your question at all, but hey--learning is learning! :p

7. Maybe the most 'quintessential' bass pedal is a tuner....