1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for killer 10" speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OneFlash, Jan 25, 2012.

1. OneFlash

OneFlash

Jan 3, 2010
    :help:

Hi forum folks,

I have a Trace Elliot 2x10 cab that had the original Celestions removed and a couple of (now buzzing) Goldwood replacement speakers put in by previous owner. I'd like to upgrade this to handle my 500W Trace head but haven't been able to find much guidance for really good 10" options online. I also run this head with a 15" for larger venues but want the 2x10 to be solid on its own.

Thoughts?

Paul

2. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    Do you need the 2 x 10's to be 8 ohm when combined (if you are using a 15 as well?). This will limit your choice of speaker somewhat.

If you can live with a 4 ohm cab, two Deltalite 2's would handle 500W or wait for the new Kappalite 10's which should be "killer".

Try some of the precision devices products, particularly the larger ones are good in 4 ohm.

3. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Yup, wait for the kappalites... (I will not start my rant about the deltalites again:bag: )

4. OneFlash

OneFlash

Jan 3, 2010
    About that waiting bit... I see posts from 2005 about the 3010LF. Surely they are available now or NEVER WILL BE. Any updates from Eminence folks are more than welcome. I'd like something this week... so maybe I'll invest in a pair of EVs and a crossover @100Hz.

5. OneFlash

OneFlash

Jan 3, 2010
    BTW, my 15 is 8 ohm so I want the 2x10 to be 8 as well.

And BTW, I don't see a Precision Devices distributor in the states.

Thanks all.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
  7. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    Remember the OP already stated it has got replacement drivers so replacing them with different ones wont devalue it! I agree - make a new box for it from scratch but many people dont have the time or skills to do this - much easier to fit new drivers and get playing again...

8. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Ok, what are the dimensions(internal volume) of the cabinet and the dimensions of the port (width, height, depth).
    If you give me these I will give you some options that may fit.

Well, I did some research myself.
    The trace elliot 1028H is approx 80 - 90 liters, so 40 - 45 liters per woofer.
    Lets say that the tuning will be between 40 and 50hz, then the following woofers might be candidates.

http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/10MW NdE.pdf This one may fit pretty nicely

http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/10G40E.pdf The cab is actually to big for an optimal response but it will work

http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/10LW30N.pdf The cab is actually to big for an optimal response but it will work.

I give some more options lateron

This one may be very good, it's not in production yet http://www.eighteensound.com/index.aspx?mainMenu=view_product&pid=312

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I thought I had replied to this! <sigh> My memory just gets worse! :(

I didn't say anything about value. Goldwood drivers are pretty poor IIRC. The OP still needs to find drivers that will work well in his cab. You surely know that as a speaker designer. If he can identify such drivers he can have a good result. All else is that proverbial crapshoot.

10. .
    Looks like the Kappalite 3010LFs have finally been released..

Kappalite_3010LF

11. The 3010LF is a subwoofer driver, lower output (92.7 dB) and rated to a little over 1 Khz. You'd have to use a separate midrange driver and crossover with the 3010LF.

The 3010MB is the other new neo 10", but it's a mid-bass driver. It has higher efficiency than the LF, but the usable frequency range is 85Hz - 3.6kHz. So, it's not as good for bass guitar as the 12" 3012HO, as far as lows are concerned. You could still get a good sound in a properly tuned cabinet, with appropriate EQ, but it's a compromise since it's a mid-bass, not designed specifically for bass guitar use.

I was looking for an HO model, and was disappointed that there isn't one, at least yet.