Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for new music

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by count_funkula, Aug 25, 2005.

1. I need some new music to inspire me. I like a lot of differnet types of music so I'm not really looking for anything in particular. Something with a lot of nice bass playing of course.

Not too jazzy...........

Jaco doesn't do alot for me.

Something fairly new would be cool.

Whats out there? Any suggestions?

2. I've been listening to Robert Randolph and the Family Band. They are a pretty cool modern blues-rock band. The bass player is excellent. It sounds he's using a six string doing slap, strumming and really tasteful fingerstyle. The cd is called Unclassified.

Theres a great alternative rock band from the UK called South. The rhythm section is very cool. All p-bass grooves over really syncopated beats. It might be a bit hard to find in the US but it's worth the effort.

Not so much for the bass playing but theres a guy from Texas called Bob Schneider who is very good. It's folk-alternative-rock and the cd is called I'm Good Now.

I'm a total new music nerd! I hope you can check some of these out. In a perfect world, this stuff would be more successful.

3. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Check out "Good People in times of Evil" by Jonas Hellborg. It features guitar god (R.I.P.) Shawn Lane, and the Indian precussionist (can't remember how to spell his name) is also amazing. That album is AMAZING! There is also a live DVD of them doing the album plus a few others which is a fun watch.

Buckethead also has some nice recordings that might twist your mind in a good way. It isn't solo bass, but Buckethead is an amazing guitarist who inspires me.

If you don't mind hip-hop, try some guys like Hieroglyphics, Jedi Mind Tricks and MF DOOM (vaud. villian is a GREAT album). All of those cats can lay down fat raps over incredible beats. Who says hip-hop isn't music?

On the electronica side of music, Squarepusher is a great guy to check out. He uses a midi equipped custom Warwick to tear it up over breakbeats, chaos beats, and his own recorded jazz tracks.

Ya know, now that I think of it, Wrong Robot introduced me to tons of great music. Maybe he should post something.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. My favorite current band. Odd-time weirdness from California. The most mobile museum on the planet.

STGM

Ephel Duath. Jazz metal with trumpet solos. More metal than jazz
    Dalek. Rap that is cool enough for me to enjoy.
    Boxharp. Good country singer-songwriter stuff.
    Steven Von Till. Sad folk from the guitar player of Neurosis
    Particle. Modern Groove/funk.
    The Red Chord. Spastic Metal. Imagine Dillinger Escape Plan but more spastic and atonal.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    MORE ATONAL THAN DEP? I don't know if I could take that.

Uh you kinda have to give us a clue what you are into/already like dude. We know not Jaco... but what else.

Eh, screw it, get Morphine - Cure for Pain. It's one of those albums where I can listen to it 3 times in a row and love every second of it.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm probably related to that guy. ;)

7. I'll give examples of what I'm listening to these days:

Galactic (waiting for their new instrumental album)
    Greyboy Allstars
    RUSH!!!
    Tribal Tech
    All sorts of Christian Music
    Maroon 5
    Govt Mule

I really enjoy instrumental music like the first couple of bands I mentioned. I'm getting older so the heavy stuff is less exciting to me these days.

8. Wow, don't like Jaco but you like Gary Willis? :eyebrow:

9. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I am going to second Robert Randolph!

Hey, how about some rockabilly? The new Brian Setzer album just came out, featuring remakes of many sun-session (elvis) era songs!

You might want to try Deke Dickerson as well!

How about some neo-soul? Check out D'angelo....his album features bassists Pino Palladino...and Rafael Saadique!

10. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Oh, the album by D'angelo is "voodoo", BTW...

But if you are a christian, you may get offended by the people on the cover dancing with a chicken corpse!

Kind of a Santeria thing.....

The album is very incredibly good, though!

11. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    you obviously have a computer; try using google search and finding some ya freakin idiot

12. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Nice, powerslave!

Instead, can't you just give him some suggestions from your collection?

Oh, never mind...he may not like warrant and poison too much!

:spit:

13. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Stuart Zender is great. He is on the 1st 3 Jamiroquai albums.

Marc Broussard's bass player is awesome especially on "Saturday"

Chris Kent ckbass.com

14. Thanks Powerslave, your obviously very mature.

Lets see....looking at your profile:

Your homepage is http://goeatyourmomass.net
    Your instant messaging name is "FUMothaFuca"

I remember when I thought it was cool to use that kind of language. Just like listening to metal all the time, it makes you feel like your a badass.

Good job!

15. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I may be very opinionated at times, but I try never to call people names, or be a jerk to those asking honest questions..

HOWEVER, I have this mental picture of Powerslave in his room (of his mom's house, of course) practicing his best Robert Trujillo stance in front of the mirror,...and writing anti-Jaco posts under other names!

:rollno:

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    oooohhhhhhh... I'm staying out of this one. :D

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I am going to second Galactic and Greyboy Allstars.

Also, I dig Lettuce - "Lettuce Outta Here".

One of my favorite things to do is go to Amazon and browse the musical styles. I can listen to sound samples all day. It's neat how they show you other CD's that you may like based on what you're currently listening to.

Joe

18. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Robert Randolph and the Family Band f**king ROCK. Those guys are all great musicians and they're so much different from everyone else. Great stuff.

I recommend The Mars Volta's newest album, "Frances the Mute." The bass playing in that is very well done, not to mention the album kicks some hardcore ass.

19. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    Well if your a fan of rock or metal i would say look into some early metallica or iron maiden (cliff burton and steve harris are good bassist's to get your teeth into :bassist: .) I know you were looking for something modern but i would suggest those two band's.

20. I grew up on Maiden. Steve Harris rules!!!

Thats for the tips guys I give em a listen.