1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

looking for new studio headphones ...? around $200

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by DavC, Feb 11, 2018.

1. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    my old favs , Sony MDR7509HD , cans are dying ... my oldest pair starting losing some high end a few years back ... found another pair at Close Out price as they were being discontinued ... now that pair is losing low end ... checked on various devices ... retired 1 set totally , using the other set on little gtr practice rig ... now = new headphones for tracking & mixing ... yes i understand using Closed for tracking and Open for mixing is the way to go ... but i'd like just 1 set for both ...

after some reading and snooping around , i'm leaning towards the newer ' Focal Spirit Professional ' headphones ... retail $399 / street 349 ... but now i see some dropped down to $199 ..!!

anyone tried these ...???

i have a set of Focal Sphere earbuds that sound rather good ,fairly flat response .... and i have other buds/phones for every day movie/music stuff ...

over - ears , full but fairly flat ... $200 tops - if you have any other suggestions ..!??!!

thanks ... Dave C.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Audio Technica ATH-M50X are pretty standard. I like the way they sound for mixing.

NealBass and Gideon352 like this.
  3. Beware of killer deals on brand name headphones. There are a Lot of counterfeits out there.

The only way you can be sure you're getting the realk thing is to use an Authorized Dealer.

However, that means you'll pay full or near to full price if you negotiate.

4. I will second the M50's above and add the Beyer Dynamic DT770's if you want a little more bass extension/presence. I have had mine for over 10 years and have not heard anything that would make me want to upgrade. I even like them more than the DT880's or DT990's because of the bass response sound.

5. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    AKG K271 (I got the closed back version to our studio to reduce leak and spill when recording, but I think the open back model sound a little bit better for mix). Simple and inexpensive. More or less standard around here.

6. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Shure makes a whole line of headphones. I love them because they’re comfortable, neutral, durable, and have detachable cables. The SRH840 should fit your budget and sound much more pleasant than Sony cans.

7. Don't buy the Focals if the cracking headband issue isn't solved. You find tons of users who had this problem and Focal doesn't change the design...

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Audio Technica ATH M50x for tracking and comparing the mix, AKG K240MKII for mixing. Always compare your mix to multiple other sources (phone, crappy earbuds, car, etc). You’ll eventually learn the sound of your headphones and generally how that translates to other listening environments.

NealBass, Bassbeater and dustklose like this.
  9. Iamgoodformetal

Iamgoodformetal

Apr 13, 2014
    I have the DT990's on my head right now. I like them a lot, basically the open back version.

10. DT770s are fantastic cans. Great for tracking and solid bass extension. Use them for my daily listeners as well. At some point would like to check out the 990s and compare.

AKG K240s are always an option as well.

11. ofajen

ofajen Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Why one set for both when you know that open phones can deliver more accurate sound for mixing and closed phones are required for tracking with microphones? You could get a decent set of each for $200 total. That’s my preference, but of course YMMV.

Otto

Bassbeater likes this.
  12. I have replaced my Sony's with Yamaha HPH-MT8. Definitely a step up in sound quality with a fairly flat response and in your price range. Great allrounder imo.

13. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Another vote for the ATH M50x. I have two pairs (well,one is the older 50 model) and love them even for all day listening at work.

I am now getting curious about the DT770s though.

TheEmptyCell likes this.
  14. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I much prefer the ATH M40x to M50x, they're a lot more flat, M50x have a boosted bass and something a bit weird in the treble response. M40x FTW

15. I still rely on the Sony MDR7506 or MDR-V6 headphones ($70-$80). Been using them for pretty much anything requiring good sound for 30 years, not likely to change now. You can buy replacement ear cups ($20-Amazon) for them. Best accurate phones I've heard, and I'm sticking with them. I especially like the closed-ear design to shut out extraneous noise.

And at home I have a pair of MDR-V600s...love 'em.

16. Audio technica ATH-M50X they rock Screenshot_20180212-151603.

17. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA