Looking for practice amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by invader3k, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Hey everyone. I am new to this board, and this is my first post. Sorry if this is a little long-winded.

Just a little background: I have been playing bass for about five years now. I consider myself a decent player, but not great. I play semi-regularly in a cover rock 'n' roll band (we do some originals too). We need a new drummer...(different story, different time).

Anyway, I own a Peavey TNT 115S that I use for gigs and playing with the band. However, for solo practice in my apartment I have a crappy little Epiphone amp that came with my first bass (an Epiphone Accu-Bass beginner setup). The amp has kind of a "farty" sound and doesn't handle the low end very well at all. The speaker is pretty small...five or six inches I think? I would like to find something that has good tone for both playing on my fretless Fender Jazz bass as well as my American Standard P-Bass. I play a lot of punky stuff, as well as classic rock and alternative type music.

What can you all recommend for practicing in an apartment? I am not too concerned with it being too loud...our apartment is rather isolated (kind of hard to explain). I don't want anything huge, because it will be used mainly in a cramped office/computer room. I would like to stay under $300. Only interested in new equipment (too many bad experiences with used stuff).

2. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Tascman (sp?) bass trainer ($140) and a nice set of head phones ( $50-$100). This is a fun little practice tool. Other than that I would spend a little more for a hartke KB12 or ampeg BA112. Both about $370 new. JMO, but for a practice amp, I would still buy used.
  3. I got a Peavey Minx ($249 musiciansfriend) a couple of weeks ago. Works for me
  4. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I've got a Fender Bassman25. Works great for practice, has the tiltback feature and also has the RCA jacks so you can plug your CD player or whatever into it. Should be well within your budget. :bassist: