Looking for Recommendations for a new Bass ($500-600)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joseph Devera, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Joseph Devera

Joseph Devera

Jun 29, 2020
    I've been using an Ibanez Soundgear bass for almost 8 years now, and it's performed magnificently for me. But recently one of the tuning pegs broke all of a sudden, which got me thinking that it might be a good idea to look into investing in another bass.

I play bass mostly for worship in church, playing songs by the likes of Hillsong, Elevation, Bethel. The usual suspects.
    But I also jam on the side to punk and alternative rock, in styles similar to Simple Plan, Neck Deep, Sleeping with Sirens, and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (boy do I miss them).

I'm looking at a budget of roughly $500-600 (I'm still a student, sue me), although I'm open to going a bit higher if the bass really appeals to me.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the Fender-style tuning pegs, and I prefer them in 2L+2R instead of 4 in a row.
    Not particular to active or passive, jazz or P, four or five strings.

Any recommendations and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. The Yamaha TRBX 604 is a good choice.
    There are a lot of fans of them on TalkBass.

But you can’t go wrong with a Precision Bass style. There are enough different types of them available now to find one that has a different headstock & tuners.

3. Joseph Devera

Joseph Devera

Jun 29, 2020
    Hmmm, thanks for the suggest. I've never really considered Yamaha guitars before since where I'm from, they don't have a very professional reputation (except for keyboards and more classical instruments). But I guess as long as the tone is good, brand really shouldn't be a factor.

Guild B301 likes this.
  4. In your shoes I'd research which decent 'middle class' basses I like and hunt them down in the second-hand market. For $500-600 you should be able to find something very, very nice.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  5. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    If you really like the Ibanez, you could always just replace the tuning peg, which should be infinitely cheaper.

rockinrayduke and RumbleBot like this.
  6. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    +1 for Yamaha.
    For the <$500 I don't think you will find a better bass than the BB434

<Edit> just noticed you like the 2+2 headstock. In that case, I'll echo the TBRX604 - it's a damn good instrument for $600
    Bottom Line, Yamaha doesn't make crap

TRBX - 600 Series - Yamaha - United States

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Relayer71 and RumbleBot like this.
  7. (The BBP34 that is being demo'd in that video is a bit more expensive... But you're right, of course, about Yamaha BB being worthy of an investigation by the OP.)

8. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Ibanez's feel very different then a traditional fender style bass. Ibanez will have a significantly smaller body, slimmer and longer neck as well as active electronics. It's kind of a cop out answer but you should really go to a music store and see what you like and dont like.

For $500/$600 my choices would be (all can be found used in your price range)

- Warwick Rockbass Corvette: Would have a relatively similar body feel and versatile tone.
    - G&L L2000 Tribute: More traditional looking with a HUGE sound. L2k is well known around these parts as a gem
    - Sterling by MusicMan: Don't have a ton of experience with these, but from what I've played I thought they were pretty decent if you're into the MM tone.

Other options that I have no experience with but would consider are Spector Legend, Yamaha BB and MTD Kingston.

Lastly, I know you don't like Fender headstocks, but if you wanted a bit of a project you can find 90s MIJ or even MIA Fender PJs. Chances are it would need a bit of work, but IMO it would be the coolest option.

9. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

Squier's VM series is pretty decent and I'm told the newer CV series is good too. I have a natural Squier VM70s Jazz that I had the pick-up wiring series-paralelled to get a beefier tonal option and this bass can outrock, outfunk and outpunk with the best of'em in the price range. By most accounts, the respective P versions are also good options, but I never tried them. I recently bought an SBMM ray24ca that works good as well.

Bass - SBMM Ray24ca.JPG Bass - Squier Jazz VM70s.JPG

10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    What Soundgear model did you have? Also what are some of things you liked or didn't like about it or even wish it had or could do? This would help in listing some possible choices for you.

11. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    My mistake - I grabbed the wrong link.
    Here is the BB434

While the BBP is a higher-end instrument, the differences are minor to the point where I'm not sure I could justify a BBP in general (different bridge, slightly different electronics). The BBP does get the IRA wood process, which is very cool... but not $1000+ cool

Nekomata likes this.
  12. nabilhuakbar

nabilhuakbar

Jan 13, 2020
    Utah
    Go look for a used Ibanez SR750...one of the 2015-2016 models. Active/passive, 3 band EQ, absolutely jaw-dropping looks, and Nordstrom Designed pups that are KILLER. You won't regret buying one

13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Lakland MIK
    Also used market is full of good deals.

14. Joseph Devera

Joseph Devera

Jun 29, 2020
    I'm actually very fond of G&L guitars personally, but they have the 4-in-a-row style of tuning pegs which isn't my jam...
    Warwick is unfortunately not very popular, where I'm from, so I rarely see them in my secondhand markets. I've never considered Sterling, however. Guess I can look into that, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  15. Joseph Devera

Joseph Devera

Jun 29, 2020
    Hahah yea I actually have some replacement parts on the way already, but I'm weighing my options for a future investment! Wouldn't mind having more than one bass either.

16. Joseph Devera

Joseph Devera

Jun 29, 2020
    It's an SRX430.

She looks nicer in person than in photos.
    Entirely cosmetic-wise, I'm not a fan of the pickup design. I'd've liked a more... 'blocky' style. Not too sure how to describe. One where the magnets weren't exposed, I guess?
    I like that it has a pick-up selector knob to blend the bridge and neck pickups. I'm also a fan of the 2-band EQ, which simplifies things for me instead of a 3-band.

17. Joseph Devera

Joseph Devera

Jun 29, 2020
    I really dig that Squier CV's colour and design, actually. It's one of my shortlisted models! I'm glad to see it being recommended here, makes me feel better about a potential decision.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  18. Joseph Devera

Joseph Devera

Jun 29, 2020
    Looks pretty cool! But if I really had to get a 4-in-a-row peg bass, I'm on the fence between a Yamaha or Squier... Guess I'll need to try them out personally. Thanks for the suggestion!

19. Basta-bass

Basta-bass

Feb 26, 2020
    Paris (France)
    Don't forget the Sires!
    If the fender like headstock issue can be overcomed, p7 or v7 are great instruments in your price range new.
    The pre-amp is a little bit complicated but once you've understand how it works, you can get almost any tone out of it !

Bassmike62 likes this.
  20. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

Forgot to mention... I have the pick-ups wired series/paralell, which gives me an option between the stock Jazz tone (Paralell) and a meatier P-ish tone (series). It's an unexpensive mod, cost me 60$ at a local shop. One can cover lots of musical ground with those 2 tones.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021