1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking or a 2nd bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dweezilmeister, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Hi all!

I've been playing for a couple month now with a Squier VM jazz. I love this bass but I am looking for a 2nd one, under 500$ if possible.

My problem is that I love so many diferent styles (from Jamerson work to Flea and Sir Paul for example) that I'am wondering if I would be better with a flat sounding bass and add effects to get my desired sound, or just have another bass that would complement my Squier.

At the moment, I really dig Flea's sound with the "plunky" highs...maybe a fleabass?

I also thought of going in the used section, so I might get more for my money...

Thanks!

2. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Few months?
    Save a few more bucks and buy a used Stingray or a Sterling.

3. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Also, the main part of Flea's sound is really low action, just so you know. That's where most of that "sizzle" you hear comes from.
    He recorded a lot of stuff with a jazz bass, you know! ;)
    Even some stuff with flatwounds, if I recall some discussions correctly. (Don't hold onto this one.)

Edit: I quote the interview about the "I'm with you" album, the latest one.
    "What basses did you use for this record?
    Old Fenders. I used my ’61 Jazz and I used another ’61 Jazz that my friend Damien Hirst put butterflies all over. One day he asked me, “What’s the best bass ever made?” I said, “Well, the ’61 Fender Jazz Bass.” I thought it was a strange question, but then a year later he presented me with that bass."
    Edit2: He also used the '61 Jazz to record Stadium Arcadium. :) Point being- to get that sound, you might not need a new bass. The question is- can you set up your Squier to have just the right amount of buzz. I know I can't.