1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking to get a custom bass: suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob!, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Rob!

Rob!

Sep 21, 2010
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site- have been playing for over 20 years now- old enough to have a decent career- now looking to treat myself to something I could never get as a high school kid...

I'd like to get a high end custom bass. So far I have a few used Warwicks which I absolutely love... but I'm itching to get either a Carl Thompson or a Fodera (new and custom).

I can find plenty of reviews on Foderas but not much on CT basses other than from Primus fans or the postings on the CT site itself (and seem biased).

Does anyone have experience with CT basses (how they feel and play, etc)? Are they worth the hype? They certainly look cool with the 3d scroll and the woods. These basses seem about impossible to test drive (not carried at any store for the most part).

2. Ivan M

Ivan M

Aug 2, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    See if COSMICEVAN response he owns 3 of them, i actually got to play his 4 string a little, they are sweet Basses for sure, but wait and see if he responds, cause i believe that is all he plays now.

3. Blacke

Blacke

Nov 19, 2008
    Pete Hilton, who works with Carl, is turning out some stunning basses. His basses employ that CT philosophy of lightness and balance, but have a vibe of their own. I believe Brian Barrett @ The Low End has a couple for sale. I have a Browne bass, built by another protege of Carl's, Mike Brown. It's a phenomenal bass, but Mike is no longer in the business. Cliff Bordwell also builds some beautiful instruments, and I'm seriously considering asking him to build my next sixer.

4. Rob!

Rob!

Sep 21, 2010
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Thanks so much guys...

I saved that Brian Barrett/ Low End site (as well as CB basses site) after checking out those basses.

I also saw that Pete Hilton has some basses on there too. I can see the same craftsmanship.

I'll be keeping all of those in mind - they all look so amazing. I just wish I could try them out. Thanks again.

5. King V

King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I've played a couple of CT's. Awesome basses for sure...I've always been a fan or Carl's work.
    But that wait and that price tag....ouch! I just can't make that kind of commitment.
    But picking up one used, or as was posted above, from The Low End, well at least that eliminates the wait.
    Brian Barret at The Low End is a good guy and someone I would recommend doing business with.
    Just my $.02

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm a young man, but I'd be crippled with arthritis before a CT reached my hands - either because of the massive price or the insane wait time.

I've seen the Browne basses, look nice. Cliff Bordwell does AWESOME work, and his Ball Bass bodystyle has a funky CT esque vibe. A bit cheaper too, and probably more options available as well.