1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to identify this Westbury bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbadmonkey, May 1, 2010.

1. superbadmonkey

superbadmonkey

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi, I just picked this up and am trying to find more about it. There isn't much on the web about this brand. I guess it is Track, but don't know what one. The truss cover plate is blank. Under the pick guard it is routed out to fit a split coil pickup. None of the pictures I've seen has the pickup selector switches. Any info you can share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Took me a few times, but I got a picture posted, scroll down a little. And thanks for your help boomtisk

2. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    the pick is'nt working.

3. boomtisk

boomtisk

Nov 24, 2009
    Germany
    Looks like you're trying to link a pic stored in your Google Mail account, which can't be done. Try uploading it to www.tinypic.com or a similar hosting site and link it from there.

The reason why this doesn't work is that viewing pictures stored in your account requires being logged into it.

4. 25r1fsp.

5. JugbandBlues

JugbandBlues Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Wow, I've never seen one like that, I've just seen the track II with the single split coil and the track IV with 2 split coils. All I know is that they were made in the matsumoku factory in the early 80's. I just bought a westbury track IV but im still waiting for it to get delivered. How's the neck? is it a chunky p-bass type neck? and are they really that heavy?

6. I remember the guitar version.
    THICK gloppy finish.

My feeling is that the pickups are Dimarzio and the switches were also added.
    No way it came this way from the factory.

7. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I think DiMarzios were standard on the Westburys. Since the OP says it's routed out for a split-coil under the pg, it's likely a Track IV with the bridge pup changed to a J model and some switching options added. The original pickguard would have been kind of a bottleneck shape and reached all the way up to the neck pocket, as shown by the screw holes. - Westbury apparently was a brand Matsumoku built for US importers Unicord, and was also in some way connected with Marshall in the UK.

8. superbadmonkey

superbadmonkey

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks for all the info. Kinda what I was thinking. The pick guard is not original, kinda wish I had one. It looks cool with the bottle shape up to the neck. This thing is freaking SOLID!!!!! I don't think I could gig with it....just way too heavy. And the neck is super beefy too. I also like the bridge design. Three bolts threaded into the body for height adjustment. Not the best bridge, I know, just something about it....but I guess that's true with the bass itself. I will probably will never gig with it, or record with it, but I like it. There is just something endearing about it.

9. Looks like a standard Gibson 3-point bridge...

10. JerseyDad

JerseyDad

Jun 20, 2010
    New Jersey
    I just got a Westbury Track 4 off Ebay. I had a Westbury custom I will try to dig up a pict. The same set up but no pick guard tortoiseshell binding and gold hardwear. The bridge split and broke in half Gibson did not fit. It was 1982 I was in Spain I just gave it away. It was one of the 1st ones made by Westbury I wish I still had it Beautiful bass. Cant wait to get this one.

11. JerseyDad

JerseyDad

Jun 20, 2010
    New Jersey
    Got it plays and sounds great all orginal $200.00 from ebay I removed the pickgaurd I like it better without it.

12. JerseyDad

JerseyDad

Jun 20, 2010
    New Jersey
    2 picts of my Westbury custom. 1980 Spain

Attached Files:

13. pablop

pablop

Apr 28, 2009
    Los Angeles CA
    Looks like a modded Track IV, is it set neck?
    It looks like they swapped the bridge split pickup for a jazz and added the pick guard.