1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking to upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by caddyjoe77, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Hi All

I have been playing for about 1.5 years now, and since i love playing so much i decided it was time to upgrade my sound equipment.

Right now I have an acoustic B100 and quite frankly it doesnt have the punch im looking for. I like to play anything from original stuff, RHCP funky, TOOL steady, to punk stuff so more punchiness is preferred. I am ready to move away from combo amps/speakers and move to something like a seperate amp and cabinet.

I really have no idea what i am looking for gear wise. :confused: I was looking at a Hartke VX410 but honestly i think that's a bit of overkill. I would be happy with 2 10's or 2 12's and a 15(but that can wait). I dont gig at this time, but if i started i would want something that can keep up with a full set of drums and guitar.

There is probably a million different combos i could go with, so any advice would be appreciated. I know, im subjecting myself to many opinions here...so fire away!

Thanks for your help!

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Avatar makes great speaker cabinets at entry level prices.
    I have an older version of this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/B210-AVATAR-Bas...e-/350397707529?pt=Guitar&hash=item519554b509
    and it got me through 18 months of cover rock club gigs as a stand alone cab.

I also have the Eden WTX260 head-which is great for small to medium venues and best used with a more subtle drummer but instead I'd recommend their current version which is the WTX500. Same size and weight but twice the power! If you shoot for used you can pick up the Avatar 2x10 in the $200.00 range and I've seen used Eden heads around $400.00-which for around $600.00 or a little more would give you a serious small but kickass amp set up and make the drummer wish he took up bass!
    The great thing about the little Eden heads (Markbass has comparable products) is that they are so small and so light that it was a nobrainer to pack it as a backup head even when I felt my big tube head would be fine- at 4.3 lbs and only taking up the size of a gig bag pocket it was a great insurance policy on gig nights.
    Just for the record- I see a lot of posts here regarding Markbass technical problems- I've never had an issue with my solid state Eden. They both sound great, and I had to literally flip a coin when deciding between the two.

3. Thank you, that looks like it might deliver a little better than the acoustic i have right now.

Now, as far as amp heads go, i would want something that i can expand on later? So I can run those at 4 ohm and then add another 4 ohm sub later?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021