Lord Help Me!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Jul 7, 2005.

1. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm quitting smoking. It's the first time I've ever had a desire to actually quit so I'm gonna run with it. We'll see what happens :meh:
  2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

good luck bassturtle ...

it's gonna be a tough haul , but you can do it !!

just remember , other people have been where you are now ,
    and you should get plenty of support here on TalkBass ...
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good luck Bassturtle! I did; just think of that. ..."that weirdo Blisshead quit smoking, surely I can"...
  4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Quitting smoking will be the best thing you can do for your health. It's taken me a few times to be a non-smoker, but it's totally worth it. I felt a difference the day after I quit when I woke up and didn't spend as long coughing up my first lung chunk of the day.

Just remember this, every day you go without smoking gets you $5 closer to your next dream bass. At a pack a day, you'll save $1,825 a year towards your next bass.

So what do you want more? Suicide on the installment plan or cash towards your next bass? To me the answer is simple which is why I'm still a non-smoker today. :)
  5. I quit smoking 5 years ago and I swear to you that it was the best thing that I ever did. I smoked for about 17 years. 2 packs of Marlboro a day. Use all the help you can get. Nicorett Gum, the anti depresant pill, the patch or whatever works. You wont realize how important this can be until your out of the woods. Give it time and remember its not supposed to be easy.
  6. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, guys. The money is a big part of it. My wife and I are trying to stay on a consistent budget so we can keep socking money away, but there have recently been some things that have come up that we'd both like to have. If I quit smoking we could easily have these things without changing our spending habits.

So we'd get some things we want without changing anything and my life line gets a bit longer :D

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I went cold turkey and it was the best thing i could do. Stay strong. :)
  8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Good luck on quitting, bassturtle. I'm cheering for you, bro.
  9. I quit last spring (inspired by a thread like this). I tripped a few times...but i really enjoy it (being a nonsmoker). I feel better every morning...kinda like the difference between VHS and DVD (REAL dumb analogy, I know). Good luck. I smoked for 10 years. I don't really miss it at all.

10. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    I know everybody says this but in my case it's true - if I did it, anyone can do it. It's not easy but it's the best thing I ever did. Cravings will come and they will go. Just hang in there. It slowly gets easier and the smoking dreams will eventually stop (pretty much). :hyper:
  11. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    Good luck.

The first three days are the chemical withdrawal, those are the worst of it; after that, its all behavioral, and more easily managed. Replacement behaviors help: try chewing gum, walking or exercising, gnawing toothpics, etc.

I'm coming up on my designated quitting date: september 10th (30th b-day.) I'm going to go camping way, way out, where i simply can't get smokes, and not come down for 3 days.
  12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

Aren't those dreams crazy? I woke up thinking I had smoked a butt multiple times. One time I went to throw out the pack I thought I had before I realized it had all been a dream. Weird. It gets better though. :)
  13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If god wants you to quite you will suceed. If not, well, I guess he wants you sooner rather than later ;) :D
  14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You can do it, toitle! I'm coming up on nineteen years since quitting...

One word of advice - do *not* compensate with Certs or Tic-Tacs. The sorbitol will give you the gas from hell.
  15. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    I quit 4 years ago and I still get a dream once in rare while where I wake up thinking I started smoking again. The good news is for the most part I never even think about smoking anymore. I still like the smell though. :meh:
  16. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Drink lots of room temerature water. It's easier to drink that than chilled water, and flushes the system of toxins.
  17. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    Ewwww yeah, that's when I first learned what the hell sorbitol was. Not fun.
  18. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004

good luck man, i got a friend who's trying to quit right now, and from watching him, it's a hell of a trip. worth it all though.
  19. He's got to pray to God in order for him to help. Suffering of heart disese is way worse then dying early.
  20. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    Another thing that helped me was looking at certain websites when I had urges. This is a good one http://whyquit.com/
    The story about Bryan Curtis was almost all I needed. I had just had a son and so his story really hit me in the gut.