1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Loud replaced my PF-50T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Engle, Feb 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I bought my PF-50T almost 2 years ago. I never noticed at gigs, but at home it would sometimes hear it make a high pitched feedback-like sound. It seemed microphonic, so I assumed it was one of the preamp tubes. Being the procrastinator I am, I didn't get around to dealing with it until a few weeks ago.

I took the cage off and found if I tapped the 12AU7, I could hear it through the speaker. I installed a new 12AU7 and it didn't change.
    I swapped in a different 12AX7 to both positions, just in case - and still no change.

The Ampeg warranty is 2 years for the amp and 90 days for tubes, so I thought I might as well bring it in for service before the warranty ran out. I was thinking the worst case scenario would be that my replacement 12AU7 had the same fault as the original and I would get charged for a tube.

I brought into L&M, they shipped it to Loud and 10 days later I got a call from the L&M service department to tell me Loud had replaced my amp with a new one. I went in to pick it up today, and sure enough they handed me a brand new one in a sealed box.

The L&M guy said I should have the same warranty on this one - not sure if that's true, but I won't argue if it is...

There was no explanation given of what the problem with the original one was. Anybody have an idea why they would opt to ship a new amp rather than fix mine?

In any case, I think that's pretty good service from Loud and I will be putting the new amp through it's paces over the next couple of days.

2. They probably couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, or simply shipping out a new one & slowly repairing the old one to sell as a refurb was a better idea to them.

Omega Monkey and Slater like this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    How good is that then.

SJan3, kobass and Engle like this.
  4. That or it got mashed in shippIng.

5. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Could be as simple as it costs less to handle this particular issue this way.

Or they lost it. :laugh:

It could also be that they want to have R&D take a close look at the unit. Take care of the customer first, keep the amp.

6. Or some newbie tech had a ''learning experience'' further loss of magic smoke incident.

el murdoque, Omega Monkey and Engle like this.
  7. Well whatever happened, I try to provide good customer service in my job, so I appreciate it when I’m on the receiving end!
    The new one sounds great, but they haven’t fixed the hum. I guess I’ll wait another 2 years before I do the mod...

Mvilmany, beans-on-toast and kobass like this.
  8. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Traynor (Yorkville) did the same thing for me with my YBA-300. I had a noise issue and they mailed me a brand new one in original packaging. That's the way it should be IMO. It puts our faith in the company and we'll be repeat customers.:)

SJan3, 4-fingers, Engle and 1 other person like this.
  9. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I had a (new) Mackie ProDX8 mixer... stopped working when it was about 6 mos. old- contacted Loud. They sent a return label- then followed up with an email saying not to bother returning- they just send out replacements for those units. (I actually sold both here on TB- the buyer of the ‘broken’ one said it was just a wire that came loose... I didn’t really need ot or I might have attempted to repair it...)

Engle likes this.
  10. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Kinda makes you :wideyed: if the construction method or quality is such that a tube amp can't be easily repaired these days :nailbiting:

11. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Is this hum something that was fixed by LOUD ?

I have two PF-50t's and I don't hear any hum from either one of them.

I bought them both new in the spring of 2017.

justbass57 likes this.
  12. mnats

mnats Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Australia
    Some faults are easier to trace than others. Do you pay the technician for five hour's work or exchange the amp?

These are neither more difficult or easier to work on than most amplifiers. In my opinion they are well made; the mechanical and industrial design is very nice.

Having said that, the hum level is too high for something that has recording-friendly features like the "transformer" balanced output. I guess there will always be those who say they can't hear it but what's the harm in reducing it by around 20 dB if you can?

13. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Still waiting for Ampeg to fix the Micro-VR 4 ohm issue, not holding my breath :( .

14. My new one hums just like old one. I tried another new one at L&M and it also hummed. You don’t hear it if you’re in a quiet room?

Why do you have two?

15. I’m debating whether to do the mod or wait until the warranty runs out. (Another 2 years) It would be nice to record with it.

16. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I got mine while the rebate was going on plus the retailer I bought them from knocked about 72 bucks off the street price. Got one and liked it so much I got another one.

I have never noticed any hum in my practice room. If any is there it certainly isn't enough to get my attention.

17. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The mod can be done in a fully reversible way. If you decide to have it done, just keep that in mind should you want to restore it before that amp goes in for service.

18. I think I’ll run it for a month or so, and then do the mod as you say, in a fully reversible way.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh please! That was fixed years ago. Mine actually fixed itself. Don't know why, but I no longer have that problem.