1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Loudest vertical double 210 (or 212) stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J-Dub, Nov 26, 2017.

1. J-Dub

J-Dub

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Opinions seem all over the map on this so to narrow it down, let's define "loud" as:

Loud: noun. The ability to keep up with two guitarists and a drummer playing ZZ Top and Black Keys covers and never miss your old Ampeg 810.

Looking to downsize/go modular but still bring that mid presence and vintage sealed cab tone and volume.

mikewalker and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If you have the budget, check out Barefaced 410 cabs.

You won't believe you don't have an 810 behind you.

anton72, svtb15 and Pbassmanca like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    No matter what, you will miss the 810. A lot. But subbed.

MordBass, StayLow, Pbassmanca and 2 others like this.
  4. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    All else being equal, which is a problem as it never is, the loudest cab is the one with the most driver displacement. Catch-22: only Barefaced publishes their driver displacement, and even they don't for their tens, which doesn't matter, since there's no way to compare them with anything else. But much of what makes an 810 sound like an 810 is how high it stands, so a pair of 210 vertically stacked will get you as close as you can get.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I have the 212, but I know players who love their Revsound 210, and say it has plenty of volume.

6. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Any cab makers using stock drivers also have driver displacement easily available. That includes Greenboy Fearful/Fearless stuff, as well as certain Audiokinesis cabs among others.

Given the desire for something with a more colored tone, I think that any of the Barefaced 10" cabs would be a great place to start if you have the budget, as already mentioned above.

Pbassmanca and DukeLeJeune like this.
  7. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    That's one of the advantages to DIY, you know what you're getting, unlike manufactured cabs, where it's just like what Mama Gump said about a box of chocolates.

Kro likes this.
  8. I’ve never had a problem keeping up with anything when using a vertical stack of two Acme B2 cabinets.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I've been working with two Avatar 210 Neo cabinets stacked as a vertical 410 for years (powered by Mesa M-6 Carbines) in a LOUD outlaw country band, (two guitars running into Mesa amps and a drummer who doesn't know the meaning of playing timid!)

Using them on small stages, large stages, at outdoor shows, animal clubs, bars, ect.

Just for reference, my other cabinet is a Bergntino NV610, love it, but it mostly sets at home because of it's 100 lb. weight is getting to be a problem and it's squat 36" tall cabinet.
    On tight stages I've a foam wedge that I have to use to angle the NV up at my ears.

There's something to be said about the vertical 410 having that top driver up near your ears....

As to the "sealed" 210 cabinet vibe, I'd suggest your checking into Ampeg's 210 AV.
    They sound very good but their NOT a loud cabinet that will handle much more than moderate gigs.

pudgychef and FlatwoundFunk like this.
  10. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Rick, I like your Carl Sagan quote: "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."

If you're going to make an apples-to-apples comparison of driver displacements, you might want to use the same yardsticks for measuring cone area and linear excursion. The ideal of course would be to use the actual Klippel distortion measurements, as sometimes the suspension system is the limiting factor, something that would not show up otherwise. So if you're going to make a comparison between one of us guys who uses stock woofers and someone else, if precision matters, then the yardsticks used also matter. Just like when making comparisons between manufacturers based on any other spec (efficiency, low-end extension, power handling).

I agree with this.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    mikewalker and RColie like this.
  11. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    How many watts do you push through yours? I only had one B2, but it was completely lost in the mix with everything maxed on the amp. Wish Andy would build a cab with the design goal of SPL rather than a flat response.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  12. The pair have up to 500W each available to them. I never get close to that though.

13. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Four Jack 10's? Kind of defeats the idea of saving space...

14. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    I did this stack for a while, with an Alembic pre into a 1200 watt Stewart (World Tour?). Of course, early class D watts... That rig wasn't louder than my Trace AH600. I never got lost. But, if you're used to cabinets voiced more for midrange, I can see you missing presence/bite/punch/insert adjective here.

TBH, I was never really satisfied with one B2, either. It's just not a lot of speaker to get that much low end from.

15. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

A couple of Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 2x10's or Subway 2x10's will give you a huge sound. I use a 4ohm Powerhouse 2x10. A pair of them would be devastating....:D

Rimshot likes this.
  16. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    I use 2 TC RS212 cabs and never worry about being loud enough. Used 3 212 cabs one night and it was amazing!! :)

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. Cracker7

Cracker7 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Saratoga Springs NY
    91D01C19-7957-4A0C-B6CF-DF8B7FAA7EED. I run a GK mb800 through two vert stack GK cx210s. I play with a loud drummer and two very loud guitarist in a metal band and have no problems at all.

alaskaleftybass and mikewalker like this.
  18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That kinda defeats the purpose of the Acme. You want loud? I can get you loud but it may not sound pretty using SPL as a target. Will you accept a decrease in sensitivity as a trade-off for a thick, well-balanced bass tone? That's pretty much Acme's stock-in-trade.

Riis

19. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I tried Acme and it was too much of a loss of sensitivity for me. That’s why I was saying I wish he would try a SPL cab or two. Keep the existing line.

20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Don't hold your breath. OTOH, I have yet to trial any of the newer designs but none appear to embrace the desired conventional 2 X 10 format. As you've guessed, I also run two Acme B-2's powered by either an XLS 2500 or Epifani 1000 as the cabs scream "...bring it on, *****!".

Acme Sound LLC. - Home of the Low B Series

Riis

Pbassmanca likes this.