Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Low "B" Intonation Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shizack, Oct 10, 2004.

1. shizack

shizack

Aug 24, 2004
    I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard 5-string. I can intonate the higher 4 strings all day either way, but the B has reached the limit. It harmonics exactly on the "B" note, but when carefully 12th-fretted, it reads sharp. It is an audible difference, as well. The tune-o-matic saddle is as far back (towards the tailpiece) as it will go. I have loosened the truss rod about 3/4 turn (1/4 - 1/2 turn a day, I know) and after letting it settle for about a week and a half, re-tightened about 1/2 turn. No effect on the intonation either way. Any suggestions, or should I just tune a smidge flat to compensate? Thanks.

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Is your B string taperwound at the bridge?

Do you have another B string you can try? Maybe your string is junk.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Maybe I'm an idiot, but shouldn't you move the saddle away from the bridge to flatten it?

4. no, that would sharpen it.

5. Can you turn the saddle around so that the slanty part faces away from the tailpiece? That's the usual thing to do if a Tune-O-Matic won't go where you need it to. Of course, if it's already facing that way you're out of luck.

6. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Try a search on "B string intonation problems". I've seen this discussed countless times.

When I first changed the strings on my Q5 I had some problems with intonation and running out of adjustment room with the saddles. A taper wound B string should help. Mike N's suggestion that you might try another B string (taperwound or not) is also good. Do try a search though. You will turn up a lot of useful info on the topic. Good luck.

7. shizack

shizack

Aug 24, 2004
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll see if I can reverse the saddle tonight if I have the time to futz with it. This is only the 2nd set of strings I've had on it. The set that was on it before was the same way - that was part of the reason I got a new set. The taperwound strings sounds like a good idea - I'll try that next set (in a few months - I'm po'). Now off to search the topics - I usually search before posting (hence my low post count) but I never realized this was a widespread problem.

8. shizack

shizack

Aug 24, 2004
    Lemur - your suggestion worked! I took out the saddle and reversed it, and now it's intonated properly. I don't like the way it looks, but it works. It's still ALL the way back though. Does anybody like Badass or Hipshot make an aftermarket Tune-O set that will fit this bass? I've done a bit of internet searching but I can't seem to find one. My problem now with this one is the e-clips that keep the screw in a set position popped out on all but one saddle while intonating and I can't get them back in. Thanks all - time for some taper cores.