1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Low B quiet after string change

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by frankthetank727, Aug 20, 2012.

1. frankthetank727

frankthetank727

Jul 7, 2011
    I've got a 6 string fretless bass and finally replaced the strings after having ones on there for a long period of time. I had Carvin Stainless Steels on there and they were a pretty light gauge, with the low B being a .128. I recently added a slightly thicker set of GHS boomers, with a low B at .131. I strung it up, and when I tested it, the low B seems to lack punch relative to the other strings. All the other strings, EADGC seem to sound great in my opinion, but the Low B seems to have less punch and even less low end than the other strings. I had to make this a custom order so I got the set of 5 EADGC in one pack and I had to buy the Low B separate. I did not experience this problem with the last set of different brand strings so I'm not convinced my bass is the issue here. Does anyone have experience with GHS boomers/experienced this issue before? Is it possible that its a dead string, and if it is, what's an easy way to tell?

Edit: I've got a Carvin XB, so I'm wondering if these strings or something just aren't working well with those saddles...