Low Down Sound Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Mar 7, 2005.

1. I'm considering calling LDS up and having them build me a cab. Let me say, I play both electric and upright. Jazz, slap, funk.. The two situations I play in are a quartet and big band. I dont need anything rediculously loud (I have PreGibson Trace Elliot (2) 2x10s & (2) 1x15s for that)..Right now for jazz gigs I'm using a SWR Workingmans 10 but I think its days are numbered playing double bass through it. I've had a slew of problems with it.

I would like a good, decently lightweight cabinet that will handle the lows of the double bass well and be punchy for slap.

I was considering getting a cabinet made with a 12, 8, and a horn.. Does this sound like it would work well for me?? For head, I'm going to be running a GK700RB. I'm going to ask if LDS can use speak-on's on their cabs so I can fully utilize the head (one channel for the 12 & 8 and one channel for the horn).

I'm not set on a 12, 8, and horn so if anyone else has more suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Your best bet is to call and talk to Don, I played a 10" three way driven by a Clarius there last week, for the size it was incredible. I play all electric (no upright) and have one of Dons 2 X 10 neos and love it. But I have suspicion an upright guy would really fall in love with the 3 X 8! One of the guys on the board has two and plays some real large rooms with them. As far as the connectors,He'll do anything you want, (wouldn't reccomend rca plugs:just kidding) thats the great thing about working with Don, He'll pretty much do anything you want, they are custom cabs, just not custom prices. You might want to PM Tombowlus he is the resident LDS cabinet guru!
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, one problem with a 12 and an 8 in one cab is that ideally, you would want seperate internal enclosures for them (which I am sure Don could do), but this would potentially add to the price. You could combine one of his 1x12's (the 250 watt, coax model sounds sweet!) with a three-way 1x8 or 2x8. Or, you could follow a suggestion that I made to Don of making a 1x10 in the 3-way 1x8 box, and pairing up the two - I think this would be incredible for its size.

In truth, though, even one of the 2x8's or 3x8's would probably do the trick for you. Two 2x8's would give you even more volume potential. I am not entirely sure what Ralf and Don did to the "Patterson" 2x8 and 3x8 cabs that they had, but those were my favorites. The 3x8 uses two long-throw 8's and a coax mid/tweet. Ralf's 2x8's are arranged in a staggered pattern, and use a really nice Selenium tweeter.

Don has many options available, and he certainly knows his stuff. I agree that you should just call him and let him know what you want. Or PM Ralf Patterson ("rpatter", I think) here on TalkBass.com.
  4. Bob Russell

Bob Russell

Mar 2, 2005
    What you want to do is go to www.billfitzmaurice.com and click on the builders link to see if there's an authorized builder near you. If so contact him about building you a DR250a, without a doubt the best bass cabinet available, period. Just finished building mine yesterday and put my Eden 4x10 up for sale today. It's half the size, a third the weight, and the tone and power are unimaginably sweet. Best speaker I've ever heard.
  5. fredguy

Dec 13, 2004
    I'd say order one of the 2x8's with a selenium tweeter. I received one about a month ago and have had it out with the band twice. The sound is amazing. These cabinets are well tuned and produce a prodigious amount of bass. So much so that I turn the bass down on my mesa walkabout, particularly when practicing. In a live situation the 4 ohm 2x8 is louder and cuts better than the swr stack I had been playing through. I put the 2x8 on top of an swr sob 1x15 in an attempt to move more air and the rest of the band thought it sounded batter without the 1x15. At the price $349 with tweeter upgrade it's really hard to beat. My only complaint is that I ordered it with the spray on coating and it came with standard cab shag. I'll post a longer review after the salt lake alembic convention when we'll compare and contrast a variety of bass rigs.

6. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    If you were able to get any kind of sound you liked out of the Workingmans 10 (before shredding it) you would probably love Don's 10" 3 way. It meets every one of you criteria. Either Don's or my 2x8 would probably work for you too.

7. I just got an email from Don a bit ago and he suggested a 10, 5.25, and 1in tweeter.

Hes got one in stock. I'll hopefully be up there the weekend after next to check it out.. :hyper:
  8. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i played through that cab while i was in the store and was blown away...it has a great sound, it's REALLY light, and it is truly full range...
  9. Just curious, what kind of head were you playing through?
  10. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i was using a gk mb150e...

they also have an accoustic image clarus in the shop that you can test out the cab with...
  11. I'll probably take my head..I have a GK 700RB
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I used my Walter Woods into that cab and was very impressed. It seemed to have slightly deeper low end than the 8" equipped cabs, but I felt that Ralf's 2x8's had a more even response. Still, the differences either way are minor, and a little EQ would let you dial in whatever you want with either setup. These are some truly high quality cabs.