1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Low end bottoming out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Weirdo, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Hey all,

I've recently had a problem ive noticed with my amp.

I'm running a Fender P/J Aerodyne through a Hartke b120 2x12 amp.

On the A/D/G strings it sounds fine, really nice tone, similar of Duff Mckagan, as thats the tone i go for.
    But then i go the e string, When i attack, per say, not light strum, it has a nasty pop/bottoming out sound. Hard to explain but i guess someone will know what im talking about.
    Is there any way to fix it up, or should i just suss a new amp? Im a pick player.

Jackson

2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Possible that the string is hitting the pickup? Take a look at the pickup height.

Ed Byrnes likes this.
  3. Might try lowering your bass's pickups first, "E" string side first then balance the "G" sides output (unless it is already "E/A" heavy).

4. Does it only do it below A on the E string? Might be your 12's bottoming out or hitting the grill.

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    If that is happening you'll see some creases on the cones under good lighting. Reduce bass EQ on your amp and guitar (if active) to prevent it.

6. RS66LB

RS66LB

Dec 29, 2012
    Connecticut
    aside from string height adjustment and eq a little compression may help with controlling the attack of unwanted transients

7. Fdeck HPF too.

8. Thanks for the replies, I'll adjust the pickup's now and let you know of the outcome.

9. Scratch that, Just sorted out some funds and gonna buy a new amp. Deciding between "Orange Crush CR100BXT 100 Watt Black Bass Combo Amp" or "Ampeg BA-115 1x15 100w Bass Combo"

10. That's nuts, get to the bottom of why it's clanking before spending a heap of money and potentially being no further ahead.

11. I'm not selling for that reason, i just sold an old pos car. I've wanted a new amp for a while now, so that's the plan since i just came into money.

12. Hi.

Never the less, do sort out the problem, or at least find out the source of the problem first.

Almost nothing is as annoying than "upgrading" something, anything, only to find out that the previous situation still stands.

IMO/IME anyway.

Regards
    Sam

13. Yeah, Suppose.
    I just adjusted the Jazz Pickup 5 minutes earlier. There was no difference, The E string still seems to make the Amp bottom out.

14. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Might be a dead E string. Try changing strings. Cheaper than a new amp!

15. It's not the string. When i play lightly it's fine, But when i attack the string for something like an eight note, It just sounds terrible.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You need to find a better way to attack it then. Sounds more like you're clanking it rather than an inherent problem with the amp. Either that or you're asking too much out of the amp. Just because the knobs go to 10 doesn't mean it'll sound good turning them up to 10 ;) What are your settings on the knobs?

17. That's the thing, It was on 3-4 volume. Mids about 3/4 up, bass about 1/8 above half, high at 5.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, that's not unreasonable. That makes me think even more that it's a technique thing.

19. I dunno, It doesn't do it for any of the other strings, It just doesnt seem to handle the low end very well at all.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The E string is a strange bird sometimes because of the lowness of the notes and the thickness of the string. It's more prone to clanking than the others, and it's more prone to sounding like it's bottoming out speakers when you attack it hard.