for a bag o'peanuts - he delivered it and I think he washed my car for me (short explanation -it was his daughter's, she played it for a few years but quit at the same time she had some relationship issues, it got damaged, she wanted it gone....) - Anyway, it has some issues - a splintered fingerboard that I repaired (with hide glue and amazingly it only *looks* a bit oogly). And I need to pause for a second - I *am* an instrument tech that has some background/experience with violin-family instruments and I have owned a couple previous uprights - but years ago. Continued - It also has a hairline heel crack - that one I also repaired with hide glue and it seems to be holding, but how well long-term is a crapshoot. I never got the story as to how it happened, but it's pretty obvious it did some sort of faceplant. To make a long story longer - I'm disabled; it'll only be played at home; I have logistic problems getting it to a shop for "real" repairs; there's no way I could afford or justify them anyway (bass isn't my primary instrument). So to avoid the otherwise-inevitable "you really should..." - I *know* what should be done - it's just not in the cards. I have to deal with it as-is and hope it hold together. If it blows up I'll figure things out one way or another. So - It had steel strings on it, tuned to pitch (and with the sound post rolling around!). I had to remove them anyway to fix it, and ordered a set of Weedwackers to test for tone and tension (and yes, the soundpost is properly sized, shaped and re-set, nut re-cut, bridge resized/slots shaped etc etc). It plays great (action 12mm; 11mm 7.5mm/7mm) and the D and G sound fine with better tone and volume than I anticipated. But as expected the E and A are just "thumpy" - the A has a bit of clarity but the E just too muddy. Just barely clear enough for the tuner to pick it up. But they are SO different from the D and G strings I need to find some other string solution. My concern is tension for two reasons - 1) the neck repair, and 2) part of my disability is chronic pain, and I have severe arthritis in my left wrist. It hampers playing every instrument except the ones I play with steel bars! Worse yet, the Upton has a Romberg bevel, which forces me to play with the dreaded "hillbilly death grip" instead of my normal thumb-behind-the-neck-and-holy-crap-he-actually-arches-his-fingers! (local bluegrass bass player joke). I need to find the *lowest* tension steel (I'm assuming) strings I can get. Sidebar - the Romberg bevel is a nightmare! Sidebar over - The other problems - I have no idea how to compare, as I can find no tension info for the Kevlar Weedwackers and I can't afford to experiment and buy multiple sets. I need a solid string recommendation that hopefully won't break the bank. To put things in perspective, they tried to give me the bass! I paid her $350 because...well, just because...and I'm not looking for donations, I can afford strings - I just can't justify the cost of neck repairs! OK -I'm done, and if you got this far you have WAY too much time on your hands! Thanks!