1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

low-watt amp, monster cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tilde, Oct 8, 2010.

1. tilde

tilde

Oct 8, 2010
    I recently acquired a 45 watt tube amp from 1972 (a Traynor YBA-1), but I don't currently own a cabinet I can play it through. I was thinking about rewiring my 4-ohm Aguilar DB410 into an 8-ohm cabinet, but before I start looking at the project (or start talking to Aguilar--I already need to ask them about a tweeter issue) I want to make sure that the head won't be underpowered for the cabinet, which has a 700 watt RMS power handling.

I don't ever expect to keep up with my guitarist's Sovtek Mig-100, but will the 45 watts be enough to get serious volume out of the cabinet, or should I stick with a smaller cabinet, or just a less-beefy 4x10?

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's no such thing as "underpowering", that's an old myth. Your DB410 can be run just fine with a ONE watt amp. :) Loudness is a whole other question. To get the most loudness, you need a super-efficient cab. The easiest way to get more volume per watt is to add more speaker surface area. So, all else being equal, an 8x10 would be much louder with that amp than a 4x10 would be. The next consideration is the sensitivity of the speakers themselves, and the efficiency of the cab design. Look up threads with the words "bfm", "fitzmaurice", "fearful", "barefaced", and "efficient" for more info.

3. tilde

tilde

Oct 8, 2010
    Heh, it's obvious now. Somehow I was thinking that more speakers would create more resistance for the amp, but obviously the overall impedance is already 8 ohms, which means it'll draw a fixed amount of current, which means that a louder amp is more efficient... duh.

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. Read the FAQ. You cannot rewire a 4Ω cabinet and get 8Ω. How many more times do we have to say this before it sinks in????

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Until blue in the face. Nothing guarantees that a section will be ignored better than labeling it FAQ. :rollno:

6. xed

xed Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Coastal NC, USA
    A "faq" to some may sound like a rare and odd question to others. btw... what bass is best for metal?

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If the tweeter isn't working, might be better with the amp, distorting things into tweeters can be horrible.