Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lull necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Humabass, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Hey all,

Does the Lull P5 have the same neck as his J style 5's? Same profile? Any differences?

Thanks
    Huma

2. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
  3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you read the BP review of the V5 and P5 in the current issue, they indicate that the V5 neck has the familier "shallow C" profile and that the P5 neck has a slightly "chunkier C profile". However, I've played quite a few Lull 5-string M5Vs and P5 and can't tell much of a difference at all...and I'm a neck profile freak. Mike has probably tweaked each neck to be slightly different, but from a practical standpoint, I haven't noticed a differnce between the to, and that included playing M5Vs and P5s back-to-back. Both necks feel great, have a relatively shallow C profile, and offer traditional string spacing, making for an exceptionally fast, very comfortable, and familier playing experience. ;) I hope that helps you with your question.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm pretty sure Mike Lull would know. :)

Telephone (425) 643-8074
    email: service@mikelull.com

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    A quick look on his website make me think they're different:

M5V (Jazz):
    "Graphite reinforced Eastern Rock Maple necks with modern shallow "C" profile"

P5:
    "Graphite reinforced Eastern Rock Maple necks with traditional vintage contour"

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    They are, but I was speaking more about perception. They're different, but not by a significant amount, in my opinion. Of course, I'm sure that there are others who could disagree, but based on my playing experiences, the differences are not substantial. If I can pick up a P5, play it, and say "this neck feels just like the neck shape that Mike uses for the M5V/V5 basses", then the differences to me are insignificant...and neck shape and profile are elements of a bass that are important to me and that I pay attention to. Again, these are just my opinions and observations. The review in Bass Player is correct (when they mention that the necks are not 100% identical), but my perception of the two is that there are not major characteristics to make them immediately destinguishable (like the difference between a Warwick neck and a Fender jazz bass neck....or the difference between a Jazz neck and Precision neck, for instance). ;)

7. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    I've owned both basses and they feel the same to me. Very comfortable. If there is a difference, I sure didn't notice.

8. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the input fellas!

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You already have answers but I'll weigh in anyway: the neck of my Lull P5 had one of the shallowest contours I've encountered.

10. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Whether or not Lull orders a custom profile, I know that USACG uses a Jazz neck thickness as their standard profile. So this would give you a shallow feeling 4 string P neck, and a really shallow feeling 5 string neck (for a fender at least)

Now why am I tlaking about USACG and Lull Hmmmmmm.... :ninja:

PS. I just got my can of Reranch satin nitro - time to finish my USACG p neck huzzah!

11. +1

I finally discovered Lull's this year after being interested for some time. I went from a Lull P5 to an MV5 and just a few days ago got a P/J 5...ALL great basses and I must agree with JPJ's "perception" that the necks felt very similar...whatever the case, the workmanship is outstanding and the necks are VERY comfortable on all three...

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I just got a Lull P-5.
    The bass that was reviewed in Oct. Bassplayer.
    This neck is a joy to play.

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats to all of you guys who have recently picked up Lulls. Welcome to the club! :hyper:

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    My dream bass is a Modern 5, and it's by-and-large the most comfortable, playable neck I've ever laid my fingers on. Given my recent liking of P and P/Js simply for the different tone, what I've read in this thread is killing my credit simply by imagining... :crying: