Luthier Needs Help

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by eyefixguitars, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Hi. im adam from houston. i own a guitar repair and building shop. i also help out at a friends shop during my slow seasons. we are both in the process of constructing our own EUB's. i am confident in almost all areas of the building. i just a had a couple of questions....

What is the radius of the fingerboard? i have heard about beveled fingerboards too...can someone explain this to me?i have seen some with a 6 inch radius on the internet, but they were those Deans......i dont know much about basses, but i dont think they are the cream of the crop...hahaha

Since i am making an EUB, it will be constructed similar to a guitar. i have heard about hollowing underneath the bridge feet. i am planning on doing this unless there is a better solution (im not sure how a wood bridge will do on a semi hollow EUB)

and finally, i was curious about bridges.... ive got lots of wood, but what SHOULD i use? how thick should it be? that is mainly my questions.....also, which way should the grain run through the bridge? ive got the basic shape and dimensions to start with except that.

please help, im itching to get this thing together. :oops:
  2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    If you do a search under the EUB heading I believe there is a great deal of info regarding the FB's there. Start with a search term "radius".

Good luck.
  3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Radius depends on whether you want to bow the bass, and how far apart your strings will be. The lower (bridge) end needs to be more radiused than the top. If you are only going to pluck it, go flatter. 68mm is an average radius at the bottom, 43 at top. That's for a bass that will do dual duty, with spacing of 26-28mm at the bridge. Radius tighter if the strings will be spaced closer together.