1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Luthiers in central New Jersey

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by appler, Mar 26, 2006.

1. appler

appler Guest

Can anyone recommend a luthier in central New Jersey? I just want to have my Full Circle pickup installed, so it doesn't warrant a drive out to one of the NY guys to have it done. Thanks!

2. Where in Jersey, I know a guy in Toms River that does some work.

3. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Jimmy Soma

http://www.sommatone.com

Does all kindsa work too...amps, etc.

Even makes his own line of tube amps!

GREAT guy. Works on electrics, but should be able to handle a pickup install. He's good, I trust him with my best stuff.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Will he know how to set the Sound post if it falls or do other adjustments if needed? In my business, we make Electric Basses and I set-up my own Double Basses but refuse to touch Cellos and Guitars. Just because I can doesn't mean I should.

I think Bob Ricardi is not far and does good work from what I hear. For me personally, I go up to Arnold Schnitzers or Paul Biase in NY. Imagine trying to save time and do it close to home only to have to do it again and maybe more if the guy doesn't know what he's doing. Do it once and get it done right. A trip for a few hours is well worth it for you Bass.

5. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
  6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i live in central jersey and have been playing here for the last 20 years. i havent found anyone around here who i would let touch my bass... i can say that from experience. its a pain in the neck, i know, but drive to the city for gage or to long island for kolstien. gage is a shorter trip, kolstien, you dont have to deal with manhatten, but the belt can be a b*tch if you catch it wrong....parking is easier at kolstien and you can look at a bunch of really great basses while you're there

7. appler

appler Guest

Thanks, guys. I didn't realize that a pickup install was a big enough deal to get it done by one of those cats. I'll probably go to Gage, since I can take the train. Will he be offended that I'm not using his pickup? :D

Edit: Toms River is doable, at about an hour down the parkway. Can you fill me in, reedo?

8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    If you have 1/4 x 20 adjusters now, you can do this easily yourself.

9. PM Sent

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

being in Toms River AND wanting to make the jump to DB soon AND looking to network with local potential teachers / advisors / other players in my area, can you send me the info too?

11. PM Sent again

12. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

Or go up 287 or the Palisades to the Tapenzee and see Arnold. I'm in Pa and make the trip quite often. No parking OR Traffic problems up there!

13. appler

appler Guest

I think I have the right adjusters, but I'm not really comfortable with the possibilty of the soundpost getting knocked out of whack. Is there a guide somewhere?

14. You mean you don't have the Adjusters installed already? If not,
    I don't think Arnold knew that when he said you could do it easily yourself.

15. appler

appler Guest

I already have adjusters. I'm just worried about something going wrong while I have the bridge out because I've never even so much as changed a string before.