Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

luthiers in the london area?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by astrogarage, Sep 28, 2005.

1. hi...

am looking to have an (admittedly fairly dodgy) db set up properly - has anyone any suggestions as to where i can take it in the london area?

thanks!

2. Abjimajik

Abjimajik

Sep 26, 2004
    Luton, England
    Do a search for peter tyler. He's in maidenhead. He's well respected (Lots of nice basses to try out too!).

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I would contact Roger Dawson if I were there. Also Thwaites and Contrabass shoppe have good lutheirs on staff. I have a Dodd/Betts? Bass that was restored by Dawson about 20 years ago or so that is holding like a Tank! I hear that he is one of the best in the world. Martyn Bailey as well has worked with him. No shortage of great London luthiers from what I have read.

4. MarkH

MarkH

Apr 12, 2003
    London, U.K.
    Hi there,

Just to confirm what Ken said, Roger is a master luthier who repairs and builds basses for many of the top U.K orchestras and jazz players.
    He's a lovely guy who charges very reasonable rates.....I can't recomend him highly enough.

email me for his phone number if you want.

Good luck,

Mark.

5. thanks a lot for those suggestions! i'd heard most of these names before, but it's good to have a second (or even a third) opinion!