1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

luthiers in the london area?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by astrogarage, Sep 28, 2005.

1. hi...

am looking to have an (admittedly fairly dodgy) db set up properly - has anyone any suggestions as to where i can take it in the london area?

thanks!

2. Abjimajik

Abjimajik

Sep 26, 2004
    Luton, England
    Do a search for peter tyler. He's in maidenhead. He's well respected (Lots of nice basses to try out too!).

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I would contact Roger Dawson if I were there. Also Thwaites and Contrabass shoppe have good lutheirs on staff. I have a Dodd/Betts? Bass that was restored by Dawson about 20 years ago or so that is holding like a Tank! I hear that he is one of the best in the world. Martyn Bailey as well has worked with him. No shortage of great London luthiers from what I have read.

4. MarkH

MarkH

Apr 12, 2003
    London, U.K.
    Hi there,

Just to confirm what Ken said, Roger is a master luthier who repairs and builds basses for many of the top U.K orchestras and jazz players.
    He's a lovely guy who charges very reasonable rates.....I can't recomend him highly enough.

email me for his phone number if you want.

Good luck,

Mark.

5. thanks a lot for those suggestions! i'd heard most of these names before, but it's good to have a second (or even a third) opinion!