Lydian Chromatic Concept

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by metron, Oct 21, 2003.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado

Im just starting to get into more advanced theory and harmonic ideas. This has sparked my interest but I dont get it. Is anyone familiar with what this is all about? Im wondering about its general applications as well. Thanks in advance for any information!
  2. ClarkW

Aug 1, 2003
    Provo, UT. USA

From this page, you see that the "Lydian Chromatic" chord he lists is basically this:

C E G B d f# a

Look at every other note, in pairs, now:

C G
    E B
    G d
    B f#
    d a

They are all fifths. You'll also notice that the ascending order of the original notes goes major 3rd - minor 3rd - major 3rd - minor 3rd, etc.

I got about that far before stopping because the whole thing sounded like it was co-authored by this fella:
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hmmm timecube. I cant believe I even started to read that link. Now that Im thoroughly enlightened about one day gods and stupid educated scientists... :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any insight on what this lydian chromatic concept means? Im under the impression that it has something to do with the lydian chord relating to the natural overtone series.
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    From what I can recall, it was a suggestion that a Lydian scale should replace the standard major scale with the usual perfect 4th. The idea was that the raised 4th led into the 5th more effectively.
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    What is so special about a lydian chord scale? I don't see anything chromatic about it...

Lydian is a major scale without the avoid tone. To hear the difference, pound out a C maj chord on the piano (C E G) then in the next octave play F (the perfect 4th). Then play the c maj chord and a F# an octave higher.

Lydian is a brighter mode than normal, ionian major. A lot of people believe that lydian should be the true major.