1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lyrics language

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by samurai1993, Aug 5, 2012.

1. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    I've been planning, along with two friends, to release a little single on iTunes (using Tunecore or another platform as intermediary); we're not thinking of making money or anything, we just want to do it for the sake of it :D Given that, what we really want is just to give a nice listening experience to whoever decides to give that misterious band a shoot. Because of that we decided to do the lyrics in english; though we are pretty capable when it comes to writing, we are really aware that not it doesn't matters how much we try, given the fact that we're not natural english speakers (our mother tongue is spanish), the pronunciation might sound awkward most of the time.

So, with those facts in sight, we're still deciding if we should make the lyrics on english or spanish.

How much do you care about lyrics language?

2. As a Brazilian, I understand your concern, IMO, lyrics in English would appeal to a larger group of people, also, it depends on what genre are you writing on, some types of music just won't fit with other languages.
    For example:
    -Rock, Pop and Jazz would sound good either way, so I would go with English, paying atention to pronunciation;
    -Latin Rithyms, go with your native language.

3. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    Sure, and also can be an opportunity to improve our english pronunciation :D

4. Of course!:bassist:

5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I always like to hear different languages. Also there is some metal band that created their own unique language.

Why not. If english speaker can't stand other languages it is their problem. I'm from Quebec and we have Pop,Rock,Metal,Rap etc original music in french. Why not in spanish ?

6. I'm not saying that Metal MUST be in English, you can write in any language you want, we have great bands singing on their native languages. What I meant was that English could reach more people. :D

7. Why not both?

8. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3YZszxRntbXFWR6ayr3xkWAdj47WUgQyxQ57Jy3TcwKtk4QwWpFNuimeNiA.

9. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    If we made it to play this things live, probably we could do both, but we would like a little more consistency when it comes to record