1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

M-Audio Microtrack Problem/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JRB, Dec 10, 2006.

1. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi everyone,

I recently got an M-Audio Microtrack recorder for live shows and practices and on the serface it seems like a great little device. However, I have run into a big problem, which is that the input levels are way to hot and even with the levels set all the way down I am still getting clipping. I have a friend who has the same unit and the same problem and the M-Audio people suggest getting a 10DB cut adaptor for the Mic.

I was thinking about just bringing it back to GC and getting the Marantz 660 which is bigger but seems to be a better unit. I was wondering if anyone has had or not had a similar problem with the M-Audio device and what people think about the Marantz or other options. (I like the Edirol-9's simplicity but having two external mic-ins is pretty important to me)

Thanks everyone.

2. I remember reading somewhere that the mic preamps in the Marantz flash recorders were not that great. If you do a Google search on any of these flash recorders you will find links to user forums were you can gain some good in-depth insight of the pros and cons of these units. Certainly something you want to check out before you buy. Good luck!

3. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    What model is it?
    ---
    c

4. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Sorry I wrote multitrack, I ment microtrack (I think 24/96) but they only have one microtrack

Originial Post Edited

5. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Other questions... how do you have it setup... you're just plugging a couple mics into it via an XLR-->1/4" TRS cable? What are the mics you're using?
    ---
    c

6. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Well, I tried it a bunch of different ways. I had the basic mic it came with into the 1/8 input with all the settings (the one on the side and the input levels) set on the lowest setting. I also recorded with a pair of RODE NT5's, same issue.

My friend who has the unit talked with the Tech support people and they basically said that it is a problem and it was over looked because of dealine issues. I could get the -10DB cut for the mic-ins but I don't know if I want to spend more money on a unit that has these problems.

Also a few other issues are that the 1/4 are so close that you can only use the cheapest cables and the battery life is not very good.

I guess I already know that the Marantz is not perfect so I am just trying to pick the one with the least problems.

7. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I got my dad the Marantz 660. It's a solid, professional unit. I would recommend it.

8. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Getting another/different recorder won't necessarily fix your issue. It seems your most likely overloadfing the mics, and not the unit.

You need to look at the max SPL that the mics you're using can handle... how loud is the stuff you're recording? A dB pad or moving them further from the sound source are the options there, if it's too loud. The other option would be to pick up some mics that have dB pads built in (which many do), like the RODE NT55, for example.
    ---
    c

9. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi Chrisp2U,

I think you are right that getting another unit will not for sure solve the problem but I do think there is a problem with the design of the M-Audio device, one that can be solved with not very much effort but some extra cost, but I think I should not have to.

I don't think that a product set to the lowest possible input level should clip with the mic that comes with the unit when placed at the far side of a room (for practices I did not even need earplugs for)

I think that M-Audio releasing there own -10dB cut adaptor within a month of the products release is evidence of a design mistake.

It is still much smaller then the Marantz and has a lot more versatility then the Edirol but I hate spending money on a product I think could have been made better.

10. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

Go to the M-Audio support site and make sure to download and install the latest firmware. They've had at least 5 revisions, meaning LOTS of bugs have been fixed.

Firmware v1.4.5

Mine works great, with condensers, S/PDIF and the 1/8" "T" mic included. Don't forget the sensitivity setting switch (L/M/H) on the side. L (Low) is for really loud stuff. You then attenuate the signal more by using the two buttons on the front of the unit.

Re the 1/4" inputs, you can use cable made with the new Neutrik 1/4" connectors. They're a lot slimmer than they used to be. Be aware the the phantom power produced by the Microtrack isn't 48V, but much less. How much less will depend on the current draw of the individual mic.

Chris