Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

M Brecker Needs Your Help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Now, however, Michael's blazing signature saxophone sound has been quieted.
    He is a patient at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York
    afflicted with MDS, Myelodysplastic Syndrome, a bone marrow disorder
    characterized by the underproduction of one or more types of mature blood
    cells.**There is no known single cause and currently the only curative therapy
    is a stem cell (bone marrow) transplant. Each year, some 20,000 new cases of
    MDS are diagnosed in the U.S. alone.

In preparation for his transplant, Michael is completing his first
    course of chemotherapy. But, as yet, there is no suitable donor.**The urgent
    donor search - which has included his siblings and children - has not resulted
    in a match.

Aj

2. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Man, I love Michael Brecker. He's always been one of my favorite musicians. Those early Steps Ahead albums you could only get as imports, holy crap, those are phenominal.

I think this is the same thing that Yankees pitching coach Mel Stottlemyer had a few years ago. Mel seems to be doing fine, so there is hope. Get well Michael. The music world needs you.

3. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    How can we help?

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    very sad news!

5. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Go volunteer to be a bone marrow donor, and tell your friends and family to do the same. If you're not a match for Michael, you might be for someone. Pay it forward.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

Unfortunatly it's not as easy a giving blood :(

7. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Nope, it's not. And since a lot of people look at it that way, a lot of people who need bone marrow end up going without.

I think a lot of people are afraid to be tested (simple blood test) because they're afraid to step up to the plate if they're found to be a match for someone in need.

8. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    What's involved in being a donor (in simple terms)?

9. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Contact someone from the donor network in your home state. A simple Google search should net you something, i.e., type in "South Dakota Donor Network." Or, go to this link http://www.marrow.org/HELP/join_the_registry.html

Thanks for asking.

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've been a registered Bone Marrow donor for several years now. All that's required to be listed as a donor IIRC is they draw some vials of blood and do a preliminary screening for type. They then entery your preliminary type into the system. If you make a preliminary match to a recipient, they will re-contact you to obtain a release for a more extensive type screening to see if you are a complete match. If you match you will be asked to donate, if not, your more extensive type information is updated in the database so the secondary type testing will not need to be done for you again in the future (this is where I stand, 2 close calls...).

From what I understand of the donation process is it is quite uncomfortable and is somewhat risky as it is an invasive procedure. For this reason many people who register to be donors have second thoughts when the time comes and the list of risks and possible negative outcomes is listed for them.

It would never be an issue for me, if I match I will donate with no questions asked.

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  12. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Michael Brecker just got back from another round of chemo. I really hope he pulls through. I just saw a full-page statement in Bass Player magazine regarding his health, and what they are hoping to achieve by getting the word out.

If any of you can help in any way please do so. Get tested to find out if you're a match. Read the FAQ on his website to get more information.