1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mac Book vs. Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    How much more do you really get with a Mac Book Pro? Is it worth the extra $$$? Graduation is coming soon and I'm getting a laptop, so these are my options. Things i'll be doing with it is:

-Writing papers of course
    -Surfing the internet
    -Handling lots and lots of music (which is held on a TB external harddrive, so internal space is not an issue.)
    -Recording 1 or 2 people (I have an M-Audio 2 input interface)
    -Bootlegging my band's shows probably in Garage Band
    -Uploading videos I shoot on YouTube

So, do you think these things warrant getting a Pro? Is it worth the extra money for the fact that I won't need to upgrade as soon? Thanks for the advice.

2. My two year old macbook handles all those things fine. If you are going to be doing a lot of music recording you might want the pro as my macbook can lag at times if I am running it too hard.

lowsound

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have a MacBook Pro, but it wasn't on my dime. My DJ has a top of the line Macbook and it hangs pretty good for a live DJ situation. I would venture to say that you could get by fine with a MacBook, but get the faster processor and boost the memory for the audio work.

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Not worth the extra.

I've got a pro, but work payed for it :) The main win is the graphics card which is way better in the pro, but for most stuff the MacBook is fine.The other win with the pro is that the case is tougher (and looks cooler).

I actually prefer the smaller screen of the MacBook - less to carry around, and you can hook to to a big monitor when you're home.

+1 on maxing the RAM

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Is it really that neccessary to have 4 GB of RAM? And is there a really big difference between 2.4 GHz and 2.5 GHz? It seems overpriced (+$400) for 2 more GB of ram, and the Macbook doesn't even have the 2.5 GHz; I would have to go with the Pro.

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Just buy some aftermarket RAM unless you want to be bent over a table. There are plenty of sources to show you how to do it, and it's pretty easy.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. Changing the ram is as easy as lifting the keyboard out.

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If you have to ask, then the Pro isn't for you :D

I'm sure you'll be happy with the MB, and adding the RAM yourself is easy - remove the battery, unscrew the metal flap protecting the RAM and HDD, and swap the modules, you're done. And unlike with most laptops, you can swap the HDD just as easily, so there's no need to opt for a larger HDD either.

9. HD better be easy to change, I have to replace mine.

lowsound

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Mac Book Pro has firewire, Mac book does not

Also the Mac Book Pro, I believe has a better video card.

If your going to do video get the Pro

11. My macbook has firewire. All of my friends that have macbooks (3 or 4) all have firewire as well.

EDIT: just checked the website, the macbooks DO have firewire.
    http://www.apple.com/macbook/features.html

lowsound

12. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    >Is it really that neccessary to have 4 GB of RAM?
    No, but it helps. 4BG is about $100 to upgrade from non-apple sources.
    You can add the extra later. I've only got 2GB in mine, and it's fine, but I do plan to upgrade.

>And is there a really big difference between 2.4 GHz and 2.5 GHz?
    .1 of a GHz - you do the maths. All things being equal (which they rarely are - bus speed is more importat) you're talking about a 4% speed increase.

Ian

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not worth the Pro, really.

Get the 2.4GHz model... pretty quick processor, SuperDrive, etc. If you need more RAM, buy from Kingston. Great memory, approx 1/5th of the price.

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks guys, you really helped!

Keep throwing in the advice if you have it.

15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I bought 2 macbook about 6 weeks ago. One is working fine the other as spent more time with the tech then here.

I love it though. The macbook should be more then enough for your need.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i got my macbook pro as a refurb and only payed a few hundred more than a new macbook. and frankly, mixing and tracking on a small 13" is not my idea of fun.

17. The MBP is worth it over the regular MacBook if:

a) You will be using it primarily without an external monitor - there's way more screen real estate on those bigger MBP screens (especially the 17").

b) For serious audio recording. Having the FireWire 800 interface really makes a difference for high-end audio interfaces and fast external HDs (the one on the regular MacBook is only a FW400 which is scarcely faster than USB 2.0).

c) For gaming - the MBP has a great graphics card, but the regular MacBook only has fairly bog-standard integrated graphics. You'll probably do most of your gaming in Windows mode with Boot Camp, though.

And I thoroughly recommend a 4GB RAM upgrade - Macs fly with that much RAM! :D

18. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Just bought mine to replace my dying Windows box...that I built 5 years ago. They are a real trip coming from Winblows land. Having to get used to a whole new animal...

That said, I am planning to get the 4GB memory for the swap this weekend. Other than that, I have a 120GB HD, 2.2GHz Intel Proc, and the stock 1GB RAM. It still runs circles around any Winblows machine I have piloted! :D