1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mac G3 Users - Able to use for recording?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Dec 6, 2005.

1. I have a 400Mhz Yosemite (blue/clear) MAC G3 running OS 10.2. I would like to use it for recording bass tracks (w/ a mic &/or DI), a Alesis SR16 drum machine and anything else I could plug into it.

I would like to know if this computer is capable of doing this without dragging to much?

Would it be faster and produce a better quality recording using an upgraded internal sound card/interface as opposed to a firewire interface?

Regarding headphones, are there any you can recommend that are fairly accurate that can handle a low B and don't cost too much money?

Thanks!

2. Yeah, absolutely! I use my Yosemite to record all the time. Just download Audacity (free!), get a mic (condenser), and off you go. The G3 definitely isn't too slow, and Audacity allows for double-tracking.

3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    At one time I was recording up to 6 simultaneous tracks of audio with a 400mHz G3 (no effects of course). It worked fine.

4. Thanks guys.

Are there any headphones anyone can recommend?

Preferrably something that can handle the low B frequencies and produce a fairly accurate representation of the sound/mix.